Log file comments window has started popping up

I’ve just recently started using Vassal 3.1.0-beta 6. For some reason, I now keep getting a “Log file comments” window opening up when I save a game file (VitP in this case). I never used to get that window with the previous 3.0 Vassal engine.

I’ve looked at the preference choices Vassal gives me and haven’t found one that will turn it off.

I never start a log file with this game module and most other games I play. So why is this window popping up? Is there some way I can stop it? Is it the fault of Vassal or the game module?

Since I rarely use Log files for my games and have no need for any Log file comments, it has become annoying as it pops up every time I save a game file - which is often.

If it has intentionally been added as a “feature”, I would really hope it can be controlled by some preference choice.

It is a standard feature of Vassal v3.1. The comments are recorded inside the log file. The Module Manager has the ability for you too add a folder below a module that contains save game files, and the ‘Comments’ are displayed in the module manager.

It should probably be named ‘Save/Log file comments’. If you are creating large numbers of save files, surely the ability to save additional information about what they are would be useful?

You don’t find it useful to be able to record additional information about the save file that can be displayed in the Module Manager? Try adding you save file directory to the module.

B.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

If you are creating large numbers of save files, surely the ability to save additional information about what they are would be useful?

I can not imagine a time when it would be useful. I play all my games via email with a Vassal module game file attachment. Whatever chit chat I want to add, I do in the email.

It is of no use for tracking the game since I label each move separately. I do repeated save’s of a game file as I deliberate my move and change it about in various ways before I send it to my opponent. Sometimes I save alternate versions of the move to see how each one might work out. Then when I finally decide on what I want to do, I attach it to an email and send it out. I then almost always delete any versions that I didn’t use.

I currently have 5 email games going using Vassal which is fairly typical for me. All of my opponents do the same thing and we never have used a Log file for comments. All of my opponents send all their comments in the body of the email. We also use a separate die roller (non-Vassal). It also has a provision for sending comments along with the die roll request.

The one game where I do use a log file to help track the move again uses the body of the email for any comments.

I really hope that you include an option to turn that comment file off.

[color=darkred]You don’t find it useful to be able to record additional information about the save file that can be displayed in the Module Manager? Try adding you save file directory to the module.

I use a “Saved Games” folder in Vassal for all my games. Each folder is uniquely labeled for each game I play. The games I’ve finished playing go into sub-folders of various sorts. The active games each have their own unique folder. Each game move (mine and my opponent’s) goes into the appropriate folder uniquely titled to keep them separate. So I can always go back and track the game move by move if I ever want to.

And I have all the emails in their own folders including the die rolls. So I have a complete record of the game from beginning to end.

So I see no benefit to adding some other comments somewhere else.

Yeah, that box is just an unnecessary extra click for me. When you want to churn out log-files quickly I can’t see much value. Any chance we could have a preference to turn it off?

As a follow up to this; I’ve never understood the need for complicated log-file naming systems. Some people like to name their logs using some sort of --.vlog format. I myself just use Africa_01.vlog, Africa_02.vlog… Africa_54.vlog etc. This way I can just sort by file name and get to the latest log quickly.

Only when there’s a problem in a game have I ever needed to go back and replay these old files, and it only happens once in a blue moon; Which makes me wonder why being able to comment on old logs is important enough to force everyone to do it.