major video glitches suddenly appearing after updates

Hi everyone,

I pored over the Sourceforge bug tracker list, and didn’t see this problem, so hopefully posting it here will make people aware of it and help me find a solution.

I’ve been happily using Vassal for PBEM games for a number of months. Quite suddenly, sometime in the last seven to ten days or so, ALL of my modules started exhibiting a video glitch issue which is making gaming impossible: most or all counters and markers on the game maps flicker and switch to other markers every couple of seconds or so. The switch appears random, but it’s particularly noticeable when a mouse tooltip pops up, I inspect a stack, or even when I simply scroll the screen. The counters switch to other counters seemingly totally randomly – they don’t simply increase or decrease value. This is affecting all of my modules, not just some.

The effect is worst in Successors III GMT (2.1), where some of the counters are replaced by video gibberish. It’s completely unplayable.

Around the time the issue cropped up, I downloaded an update to OpenOffice which triggered an automatic Java update (a very short one), and I also update my Nvidia video card drivers. I feel that it’s probably most likely to be my video card drivers, but I don’t want to roll back to the older version until I get a little feedback and advice on the problem first. I have no other video issues in any other programs as a result of these latest drivers, other than this one marker issue in Vassal.

Here are some of the driver and software versions I’m using:

Windows XP Service Pack 3

Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT with Forceware drivers version 190.38 (the previous version, 186.18, also was used with this glitch)

Java version 6.15

Vassal 3.1.9

I’ve tried tried the “Disable Directx D3D pipeline” in the preferences for these modules without effect.

If anyone has any advice I would very much appreciate it!

Raphael
Los Angeles

Thus spake “raphaelt”:

I would try reverting to Java 1.6.0_13 before anything else. Let us know
if that helps.

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

i have the same problem. i tried going back to the 6.13 java release, but that havent made any difference.

however, going right the way back to update 7 has fixed it.

Are you 100% sure Vassal is now running with the 6.13 version? Check the top of the errorlog.

Thx,
B.

Messages mailing list

Thus spake “eris”:

Then it’s either your video drivers, or the combination of Java and your
video drivers. If you’re running current video drivers, then I suggest
reporting the problem to the company which makes your video drivers.

J.

Messages mailing list

i’m pretty sure it was. i used to have update 7, then stepped right the way up to update 15. thats when the problem manifested. so i tried dropping back to update 13 (uninstalled both 15 and 7 and rebooting prior to installing 13) but it still displayed incorrectly. now i’ve gone right back to 7 and it’s fine.

working setup at the moment is:
Java Version 6 Update 7 (build 1.6.0_07-b06)
Vassal 3.1.9
GFX drivers are NVidia’s 190.38 release which is less than a month old.

It works now, so i’m not fussed. just sharing how i resolved it.

Thus spake “eris”:

Please file a bug with Sun about this. It’s important that they find out
what’s broken. What would be most helpful is if you could determine the
pair of Java 1.6 updates for which it goes from working to broken.

bugs.sun.com/

J.

Messages mailing list

Thanks to everyone for replying.

I can confirm that eris is indeed correct. I removed Java 6 update 15, leaving update 7 on my system, and the video glitches are now gone.

I’m relieved that I didn’t have to roll back my video drivers!

I too had leapt from update 7 to update 15. Apparently, the newest version of Java has some issues with the more recent Forceware drivers. I think it would indeed be a good idea to report this to Sun, though I also am not sure in what Java update the error appeared. I’m reasonably certain that update 7 is the last update that does not have the glitch, so I’m willing to infer that it was introduced in the first update following it.

Thanks again.

Thus spake “raphaelt”:

Then please do it. Usually it takes Sun some days after a bug is reported
before it’s assigned a number; once you have the bug number, report back
here so we can track it.

That’s a bad assumption. If you haven’t tried any of the updates between
7 and 15, then there’s no reason to suppose that the problem was introduced
in update 8. I’m serious when I say that you should determine exactly which
update introduced the problem. This is the kind of information which will
help the bug fixers at Sun track down the bug, and if we can provide that
at the outset, then it’s more likely to get their attention.

J.

Messages mailing list