Map edge scrolling - RFE:1861144

A quick brain dump here.

Modern computer wargames all seem to have auto map scrolling when the mouse pointer is close to the edge of the map; The closer you move to the edge the quicker it scrolls in that direction. Has this been discussed previously? If not, I think we should seriously consider it.

Currently the most reliable way seems to be using the scrollbars. In theory the right-click system should work but in practice you risk right-clicking a counter instead. The cursors keys should also work in theory but if you have a stack selected at the same time, it changes the stacking order as you scroll!

thoughts?

Thus spake “bsmith”:

I’d think most people would be using the mouse wheel.

Wouldn’t it be annoying to have the map scroll around when all you want to
do is flip a token near the edge of the window?

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

I don’t actually use this at all. Does the sideways button action of the mouse-wheel work? I never use it because it only goes up and down for me and 50% of my scrolling seems to be sideways; And I’ve got a 24" widescreen LCD!

It may seem annoying but it’s very intuitive. The map would only start scrolling when the mouse is very close to the edge, maybe even on-top of the window border itself, so it would be unlikely to cause grief. This is pretty much standard behaviour in most, if not all, PC wargame titles released today, so it’s well and truly tried and tested.

Thus spake “bsmith”:

Yes, it does work. I implemented that when I fixed wheel scrolling.
Upi get horizontal scrolling either with CTRL+scroll or if you hover
over the horizontal scroll bar and scroll.

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

I like the idea, it would make it more simple. The scrolling is one of weakspots of Vassal compared to a boardgame (even with a 24" LCD :wink: ), so scrolling should at least be as easy as possible.

And if you just want to move a counter at the edge there should be no problem as it would also only scroll a bit in this case.