Map Shading Magnification Problem

Hi all.
I’m back to working on a Vassal mod update again. I could use some help.
Previously i’d worked on a Babylon 5 space game mod.
I used the Map Shading ability to add a basic Starfield png (thanks to advice i got here at the forum).
It works great.
Now i’m working a WW2/Modern Combat Skirmish mod.
I found a nice town png on the net and added it to my mod with the Map Shading ability. I placed a tank on the Town map and discovered that when i zoom in and out, the map image doesn’t correlate like it should.
The tank counter acts normally.
So when using Map Shading on detailed maps , is this normal?
If yes, i’ve already tried adding it as a normal board, extreme loading time (7200x4800) :frowning:
Any help appreciated.
Using Vassal 3.0.17
:slight_smile:

It’s hard to say, you are possibly the first one to ever do this and it is hard to imagine the problem from your description. Can you post a link to your module so we can have a closer look?

Regards,
Brent.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

As I understand the problem, it’s that when using an image for a Map Shading, the image doesn’t scale with the map zoom factor. This smells like a bug to me, and it wouldn’t be hard to fix for version 3.1. I’ll look into it.

rk

I’ve added this as an optional feature to appear in version 3.1

rk

Thats great news.
Currently it works great with generic maps, e.g. Grass, Snow, Desert etc. You don’t noticed the magnification problem because the maps are plain grass, plain snow etc.
Its only when more detailed maps are used that you notice the bug.
When this bug is fixed it will be a huge improvement, the possibilities are endless.
Thanks for your help.