Missing card and counter text

or “whereis java” with /usr/bin/java the most likely answer.

Any binary is found with $PATH - not just java. The “special” problem he has with mis-matched jars really seems to be a bad installation (perhaps jars from multiple versions?) I don’t know really, but reducing the variables is always a good strategy. Maybe there are shared object libraries too? PATH would be a factor then.

Warmest regards,

Michael

Thus spake mgringo:

Any binary is found with $PATH - not just java. The “special” problem he
has with mis-matched jars really seems to be a bad installation (perhaps
jars from multiple versions?) I don’t know really, but reducing the
variables is always a good strategy. Maybe there are shared object
libraries too? PATH would be a factor then.

Why do you think he has mismatched jars? I don’t see any evidence for
that here.

J.

I’m not sure, uckelman. The same $PATH should be used when executing from a command line in the terminal as executing the app (which actually executes the little stub in the MacOS folder of the package). Therefore, the java binary would be found the same way and you have already eliminated the issue of extraneous VMs. Usually that’s the case, but there are possibilities like scripts that can change what gets executed. I haven’t really looked at this. In general, when I see an issue like this I try to eliminate variables - like the vm or extraneous classes - to know what we are really looking at.

It’s easy to recreate (from the command line it works and from the app or the stub it does not), so I will look at it over the weekend, but for now I have a workaround, so it’s not a high-priority. My machine has never had anything but java 7 installed.

With respect to your earlier comment about Apple’s installation of Java… there is actually a reason for the mac/java confusion It’s not entirely Apple’s fault, but they have been complicit in not keeping the most up to date versions of java supported in mac os.

This article that explains some of Apple’s recent trouble with Java (see Lion Macs).

blogs.computerworld.com/applicat … va-updates

Note that today is Feb 19, 2013 and here is the Oracle patch:

oracle.com/technetwork/topic … 05892.html

The retina screens started shipping in June of 2012 and the fact that Guillaume had vm of java 6 on his machine puts him in the “Lion Macs” part of the article. It means he has both VMs installed. He fixed that by installing VM7 but he still has a flawed version of VM6 on his disc. It needs to be updated or removed.

My Mac only has 7 installed. I still need to do the update.

This is really an important update, Guillaume, because there are major security flaws in the system that can be exploited.

Good morning,

Well, I am not sure. If I had VM6 on the disk, Vassal would start by using it when I double click on it in the Application folder, right ?

BTW, all my java-using application have asked for it yesterday (including LibreOffice, for example). So I had to install following Apple’s instructions in the end.

Best,

Guillaume

Thus spake gdaudin:

He fixed that by installing VM7 but he still has a flawed version of
VM6 on his disc. It needs to be updated or removed.

Well, I am not sure. If I had VM6 on the disk, Vassal would start by
using it when I double click on it in the Application folder, right ?

VASSAL asks for a JVM at least as new as Java 5. It will be run with
whatever JVM JavaApplicationStub, the launcher in the bundle, finds.

But, you don’t have to wonder about this. The VASSAL errorLog tells you
which version of Java VASSAL is running it. Look there.

J.

Thus spake gdaudin:

BTW, all my java-using application have asked for it yesterday
(including LibreOffice, for example). So I had to install following
Apple’s instructions in the end.

This means that you still have something set wrong.

What do you get when you run ‘java_home’?

J.

When I run it in terminal I get

-bash: java_home: command not found

But I suspect that is not what you wanted me to do.

Thus spake gdaudin:

What do you get when you run ‘java_home’?

When I run it in terminal I get

-bash: java_home: command not found

Ah, it’s not on your PATH. Try running /usr/libexec/java_home instead.

J.

I get :

/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_13.jdk/Contents/Home

Hi,

There has been both an Oracle and an Apple update of Java, but I am still at the same point. I still need to use the terminal to have Vassal use java 7 (and show SVG text),

Best,

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume!

I’m glad you updated though because now you don’t have open security vulnerabilities that can turn your computer into a BOT!

I’m exactly where you are, so rest assured I will figure it out as soon as possible. This week is going to be tough though because I fly to Zurich on Thursday evening.

Warmest regards,

Michael

I think the solution to finding the JVM on Macs once you’ve installed Java 7 is the one we’re developing in this thread. We’re not quite there yet,but I think we’ll get it eventually.

Thus spake gdaudin:

When I try to do a drag and drop with a piece, the piece “ghost” appears
to be one centimeter above the pointer.

Please try btest9:

vassalengine.sourceforge.net/bui … macosx.dmg

Does this still happen with this build?

J.

Hi,

I can start this build by the usual mean (i.e. double cliking on the application) rather than going through the Terminal. It uses Java 7.0.15 and the SVG images are fine. Great progress, thanks !

But I still have the “ghost” issue.

Best,

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume

Does it only run with uckelman’s special builds or does the official release 3.2.2 and maybe 3.1.20 run with Java 7 installed? I am asking, because I am facing the same SVG Text Issue with my Macbook Pro Retina having Java 6 installed. I try to run Twilight Struggle 3.0.10a which needs Vassal 3.1.20 (does not run on 3.2.2 yet).

(Comming from viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3328&start=45#p39358 and been redirected to this thread by uckelman).

Hi Snapped,

The official release runs Java 6 and will not work with VQ on my computer (SVG Text Issues).

Uckelman’s special build (svn8569) runs Java 7 and works.

Best,

Guillaume

@Guillaume: Thanks for you answer. Unfortunately, this confirms my assumption.

@everyone facing the same issue as me: I found a workaround to run TS on a Macbook Pro with Retina Display by installing Vassal 3.1.20 on Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 LTS 64 Bit virtualized with VirtualBox 4.2.10. The following points are important to avoid a bad performance:

1. Use Ubuntu 12.04 NOT 12.10.
  2. Install the Virtualbox Guest Additions
  3. Change the following Virtualbox Settings for Virtualmachine:
    3.1 Activate IO-APIC (if 64 Bit Version has been used)
    3.2 set CPUs to 2
    3.3 set Videomemory to 128 MB

Note: I am not a Virtualbox or Ubuntu expert. So don’t ask me any questions, if it does not work for you. I googled, read and tried several things on this topic until it finally worked for me.

Sorry, if this was slightly of topic, but I assume it will help everyone who has the same issue and comes across this thread.

Hi everybody,

The bug (missing card and piece text) is still around in 3.2.3 :frowning:

Best,

Guillaume

Thus spake gdaudin:

Hi everybody,

The bug (missing card and piece text) is still around in 3.2.3 :frowning:

Yes, this is because it’s not our bug. It’s a bug in Java. If we can
do anything at all, it will only be a workaround.

J.

Like using Java 7 ?