Modular Boards?

I’m sure this information is here somewhere, but I can’t seem to find it.

I just found Vassal yesterday, and I’m very interested in using it as a prototyping tool (as well as cool pbem games), so you’ll probably see me on this forum a lot with many questions.

Both games I’m developing right now use modular boards comprised of hexagonal regions with a number of irregular spaces on them among which players can move. One region might have six spaces, another three, and so on.

The setup of the game(s) calls for players to collectively put these regions together to form the game board.

Is this possible in Vassal? I understand that I could create the regions as pieces and and place them on a transparant playing field, and then move the actual playing pieces along on top of them, but I’d like to be able to utilize the grids and snap pieces in place and so forth. In short, I’m not sure what my options are and I’d like to be able to use as much of Vassal’s functionality as possible.

Is there a module out there that already does something like that? I don’t expect this stuff to be handed to me by any means, and it would be very helpful if there was something I could pick apart and look at to go along with any advice/explanations that might be given here.

Thank you in advance for any help. :slight_smile:

I think the critical part is the irregular spaces on the hexagonal regions. If they weren’t irregular, then this would be relatively straightforward. If you didn’t care about snapping or zones, it would still be straightforward. As you describe it though, I don’t immediately see a way to do it.

• M.

On 06/03/2008, Crifmer <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)> wrote:

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Thank you for the reply.

I thought that might be the case. I’m doing it the “messy” way for now, just putting all the pieces together so I can set up the board manually and to heck with the grids. As I play with it, I think I’m seeing other ways to achieve what I want. Vassal is an amazingly versitile program!

I want to do a mod that uses 24 maps where each map can be rotated in any of 4 directions. No more than 4 maps per board.

My thought was to make the maps as pieces that do not stack (but can be moved with the right choices) that would fit within a frame. I am just wondering if there is a better way to do this?

Mark Beninger