MouseZoom and NativeLook

One thing i would really like to see for something like Vassal is a fast mouse position based zoom by mouse wheel. Such a feature makes the zoom buttons and scrolling on the map completely irrelevant for me, allowing for faster usage of the board, the possibility for quick overview and quick peeks at small text on certain game boards.
A second thing is the ugly default java look and feel, why not give the user some options to control this.

I attached a quick hack to get simple mouse zooming and fixed native look and feel into the current vassal version.
The zooming is hindered by the delayed rendering (causes flickering) of the board and slow image operations (I quick hack circumvented that by disabling the threaded waiting for the board to be rendered and using hermit filters for scaling as those are more then enough quality wise for this application). So if anyone wants to take a look and implement it properly or take it in consideration for the big vassal reimplementation feel free to do so.

Ah great, for unexplainable reasons, i overlooked the topic already discussing this and posted in the wrong sub forum… well just disregard my post i guess.
…then again the other post is over 3 years old and nothing happened yet

Thus spake BayesBug:

[This message has been edited.]

Ah great, for unexplainable reasons, i overlooked the topic already
discussing this and posted in the wrong sub forum… well just disregard
my post i guess.
…then again the other post is over 3 years old and nothing happened
yet

Lots of planning has happened since then, as well as a handful of
prototypes for better zooming (one by Michael Kiefte in Java, and ones
by me in C++, Python, and HTML5/JavaScript). I wouldn’t say that nothing
has happened.

J.

OK, sorry for implying otherwise :wink:
Then it just seems the development process is not very transparent (something it might benefit from through the help of single interest outside contributors). That is, at least I couldn’t find any references to prototypes like those being public. And maybe the Vassal 4 threads should get their own sub forum with the basic design ones being sticky?
Anyway i really appreciate yours and others work on Vassal, thank you.