Move Fixed Distance Questions (Errors?)

On a hex grid, I have a piece that has a list of menu commands for movement. One is [Ahead] and another is [FullAhead]. [Ahead] invokes Move Fixed Distance property with 200 up, 0 Right. [FullAhead] invokes the Move Fixed Distance property with 200 up, 0 Right twice (move two hexes). (The grid snaps to the hex center)

While the piece is aligned straight up, both menu commands behave as expected. However, when the piece is facing +/-60 deg hex side, the [FullAhead] command moves the piece 1 hex “forward” and one hex “aside”. At +120 deg, it moves only one hex; at -120 deg it moves zero hex. At 180 deg, it don’t move at all.

Do the double calls get combined into one extended move of 400 that might shift into a wrong hex if the trig is imprecise?

Also, the first time the piece executes a Move Fixed Distance property, Vassal coughs up a Bug report.

I am running VASSAL 3.2.0-svn7953.

Thanks,

Flaney

I haven’t used the Moved Fixed Distance trait so I’m not that familiar with it but what you describe sounds like a trait order problem in that the MFD trait is reacting to the rotation of the piece. Try swapping the trait order between these two traits and see if you still have the problem

Thanks for the input, but It’s not a trait order issue. Unless it’s double order issue. Calling MFD once per Trigger is Okay; calling it more than once seems to cause problems. I hope this is caught for next release.

flane

Flaney,
Based on a cursory examination of the source, it looks like what’s happening with multiple moves is:

1. Rotation is applied
  2. An affine transformation is performed with that rotation
  3. Rotation is applied again
  4. An affine transformation is performed with the /cumulative/ rotation

So if you have a piece rotated 90 degrees to the right and perform two MFD for 100 pixels up, it will end up 100 pixels to the right, 100 pixels down. I’ve filed it as a bug, but as a workaround I’m guessing you’re just using a second MFD trait called FullAhead for 200 up?

Cheers,
Seth

There were some issues identified with MFD way back in how it executes Brent found. May be related to the problem here also

vassalengine.org/tracker/sho … gi?id=1948

Since this seems to be a long lingering issue, I will change my approach and use STL (SendToLocaction) property instead.

This will likely have a better user interface since errors in movement selections (left vs right) on the rt-click menu can be avoid by creating a token to drag-and-drop to the desired hex and clicking execute. This way, any hidden terrain features (mines, etc) won’t be inadvertently stumbled upon since there will be direct visual feedback to the user (and the opportunity to change one’s mind before the final click).

mmmm…are there any hidden issues with STL? :slight_smile:

Flaney

Yes - property evaluation isn’t working properly with STL on 3.1.18

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:messages-bounces@vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of Flaney
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:55 PM
To: messages@vassalengine.org
Subject: [messages] [Developers] Re: Move Fixed Distance Questions (Errors?)

Since this seems to be a long lingering issue, I will change my approach and
use STL (SendToLocaction) property instead.

This will likely have a better user interface since errors in movement
selections (left vs right) on the rt-click menu can be avoid by creating a
token to drag-and-drop to the desired hex and clicking execute. This way,
any hidden terrain features (mines, etc) won’t be inadvertently stumbled
upon since there will be direct visual feedback to the user (and the
opportunity to change one’s mind before the final click).

mmmm…are there any hidden issues with STL? :slight_smile:

Flaney

Read this topic online here:
https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/move-fixed-distance-questions-errors/4585/6

Thus spake “Tim McCarron”:

Tim, has this been fixed in the trunk, or is it still an issue?

J.

Not that I know of. I never did email Brent about the thread and commit
involved, but nothing has changed since. Will do now soon as I find the
other corresponding thread

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:messages-bounces@vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of Joel Uckelman
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 11:49 AM
To: messages@vassalengine.org
Subject: Re: [messages] [Developers] Re: Move Fixed Distance Questions
(Errors?)

Thus spake “Tim McCarron”:

Tim, has this been fixed in the trunk, or is it still an issue?

J.