Mulitple players playing the same side

I have struggled with creating modules that support different numbers of players per side for the same scenarios. E.g. A large Campaign scenario might be played 1 player a side, or 2 players a side, or 1 player on 1 side and 2 on the other, or 4 a side or…

It turns into a nightmare trying to setup up the maximum number of seats and creating save games for each combination that locks out the unused seats from unwanted players.

Imagine my surprise when I realised there is a MUCH easier way to do it, and it can be used for any existing module. Any players who want to play on the same side just have to co-ordinate beforehand and set their Vassal password in preferences to the same thing before connecting to the Vassal server and joining the game room. Voila they will automatically connect to the same side and can independently play that same side with full access to private hands and windows.

Gobsmacked :slight_smile:

That’s good to know. I can also see that being used as a way of teaching a new game to somebody as they can log into the same side as someone who already knows it and observe / discuss game play.

Interestingly, I have responded to multiple people across multiple sites over the years who were having absolutely bizarre problems with games that ended up being diagnosed with this exact cause–2 or more players using an identical module password. Hence, my advice has always been to make sure everyone is using distinct personal module passwords.

Hopefully this will all go the way of the dodo for VASSAL 4 anyway, as I think the whole existing framework for how players relate to “seats” in a game (and manage side use/ownership after a game commences) desperately needs to be jettisoned and reconsidered from the ground up.

Thus spake JoelCFC25 via messages:

Hopefully this will all go the way of the dodo for VASSAL 4 anyway, as I
think the whole existing framework for how players relate to “seats” in
a game (and manage side use/ownership after a game commences)
desperately needs to be jettisoned and reconsidered from the ground up.

This has long been something I’ve wanted to dump in the bin and start
fresh with, even before we started talking about V4. It’s on the list.

J.