Multi-move on one command + a few extras?

Hi been away from VASSAL modding for a while so I kind of relearning. :confused:
I’ve been playing the Fighting Formations mod but have been less than impressed by it’s (lack of) features. I really was expecting it to be as good as the mod to it’s predecessor cousin, Combat Commander.

I therefore have just started editing a version of it myself to get it to do what I think it should.

One of the things I am trying to do is this:

-allow the player to right click a “cube” in the orders matrix (could be in position 1, 2, 3, 4, ,5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10 of the orders matrix) that brings up a “Send to cube pool” option, that when selected will:
a) send/move the cube to the “cube pool” pile
b) moves another counter, the “initiative pawn”, along the initiative tracker (left or right) the equivalent number of placed based on which position the “cube” was in on the order matrix (1 through 10).

All this occurs on same map board.

The right click option on the “cube” might have to be expanded to 2 options however.
“Russian Player send to cube pool” and “German Player send to cube pool”. The difference between the two is the direction the initiative pawn will move along the initiative tracker (to the left for the Russians, to the right for the Germans).
This leads to another question: Is there a way to have the initiative pawn move left or right by having the mod determine WHICH player issues the right click command?

Thanks

Bull

Yes, you can trigger the direction of movement using the playerSide property
match filter using two trigger action traits and two movement traits, one
each for Russian and one set for german

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:messages-bounces@vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of Bullman
Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2011 9:05 AM
To: messages@vassalengine.org
Subject: [messages] [Module Design] Multi-move on one command + a few
extras?

Hi been away from VASSAL modding for a while so I kind of relearning. :confused:
I’ve been playing the Fighting Formations mod but have been less than
impressed by it’s (lack of) features. I really was expecting it to be
as good as the mod to it’s predecessor cousin, Combat Commander.

I therefore have just started editing a version of it myself to get it
to do what I think it should.

One of the things I am trying to do is this:

-allow the player to right click a “cube” in the orders matrix (could be
in position 1, 2, 3, 4, ,5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10 of the orders matrix) that
brings up a “Send to cube pool” option, that when selected will:
a) send/move the cube to the “cube pool” pile
b) moves another counter, the “initiative pawn”, along the initiative
tracker (left or right) the equivalent number of placed based on which
position the “cube” was in on the order matrix (1 through 10).

All this occurs on same map board.

The right click option on the “cube” might have to be expanded to 2
options however.
“Russian Player send to cube pool” and “German Player send to cube
pool”. The difference between the two is the direction the initiative
pawn will move along the initiative tracker (to the left for the
Russians, to the right for the Germans).
This leads to another question: Is there a way to have the initiative
pawn move left or right by having the mod determine WHICH player issues
the right click command?

Thanks

Bull

Read this topic online here:
https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/multi-move-on-one-command-a-few-extras/4031/1

Thanks Tim. Good to know that you think it is possible.

I will investigate further.

I can’t remember if you are the maker of that FF and CC mods? I am curious to know why the FF mod really seems to be lacking in the kind of features that the awesome CC mod has. The mod is listed as “Final” so I am not expecting any other “official” update with improvements.

Cheers

Bull

PS: I have also tried to add a “right click” functionality to the “initiative pawn” marker to move it left/right but see it is a “turn counter”. Is it correct that I can;t really do this? I instead created a separate regular counter to replace the existing “initiative pawn” marker. This counter does have the right click functionality moving it left/right X amount of spots.

I didn’t do the FF mod.

No idea on the PS comment - I’d have to examine the module to see how it was
done.

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:messages-bounces@vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of Bullman
Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2011 9:51 AM
To: messages@vassalengine.org
Subject: [messages] [Module Design] Re: Multi-move on one command + a
fewextras?

Thanks Tim. Good to know that you think it is possible.

I will investigate further.

I can’t remember if you are the maker of that FF and CC mods? I am
curious to know why the FF mod really seems to be lacking in the kind of
features that the awesome CC mod has. The mod is listed as “Final” so I
am not expecting any other “official” update with improvements.

Cheers

Bull

PS: I have also tried to add a “right click” functionality to the
“initiative pawn” marker to move it left/right but see it is a “turn
counter”. Is it correct that I can;t really do this? I instead created
a separate regular counter to replace the existing “initiative pawn”
marker. This counter does have the right click functionality moving it
left/right X amount of spots.

Read this topic online here:
https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/multi-move-on-one-command-a-few-extras/4031/3

Tim

I was able to get the selective right click menu working if the German or Soviet player right clicks the same “initiative pawn” marker.

I am now working on trying to also get the “initiative pawn” marker to move left/right if a “cube” marker (elsewhere on the map) is selected and sent back to the “cube pool”. Can you please steer me in the right direction with how to do this? I Understand that I need to be somehow able to trigger the move left/move right command already on associated with the “initiative pawn” marker.

Also, in the existing mod, there seems to be a very odd thing happening.
There is a part of the map which has a track display that is defined as a “multi-zoned grid>Irregular grid”, broken up in to 10 separate “regions” 1 to 10. This is where the “cube” counters reside. It seems that when the “cube” counter is IN one of these zones, you CAN NOT actually “select” the cube and right click it to bring up any right click menus associated with it. If you instead drag the cube out of this zone and then right click it, you can access the right click commands available. This right click functionality however needs to be available when it is IN the zone. Any thoughts on why this is occurring?

I will need to resolve this problem if I am going to get the mod to do what I originally described.

Add a trigger and Global key command to the cube marker that executes when it does the send back to cune pool. The GKC links to a corresponding key on the initiative pawn that triggers it’s own movement

Sounds like there may be restrict command trait(s) on the cubes hiding the commands when in that zone - youll have to inspect the cube’s proptypes and see.

I assume you mean every cube that is used. Well the log file is the least of my worries, in fact I have never considered it of any relevance. I just want the mod to be more user friendly and minimise repetitive tedious tasks.

Thanks all of you for this informations.