Network Communication Error: possible solutions

Hello! I’m writing here because I am having some problems in connecting to games in vassal. If I try to connect, an error message appears:
Network Communication Error
There was an error when communicating with the VASSAL server

I already gave permission for vassal in the firewall, and opened port 5050, but with no result. I’m guessing that the problem might be linked to the fact that I am connecting through a proxy server. Therefore, I was wondering if there is a way to connect two or more computers without connecting to the central vassal server, through a LAN or an ad-hoc network. I have already tried to connect two computers through an ad-hoc network using the private connection modes, but I always get the same error, so I think that VASSAL still tries to connect to the server.

Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

I believe private connections still go through the main server, due to the same reasons I had to struggle with here when trying to run my own server. It was one of the first things I tested in Vassal 3.2, and after blocking vassalengine.org in my system I’ve been getting similar problems as with my earlier builds (either freezes or connection errors - unfortunately I don’t remember exact details after three months). So it seems like the only advantage of current private connection mode is that your game is not visible for everyone when you don’t want it to be, like when you’re hiding from trolls.

I suggest that somebody else blocks vassalengine.org and tests various connection modes to verify that.

That’s the reason I’m still using my old private server hack based on modified 3.1.17. I’m currently waiting for 3.2.4 release to apply my workaround hack, along with my other personal tweaks, while taking some advantage of new connection menus (in fact I was just about to start hacking 3.2.3 right now, but it appears 3.2.3 also suffers from some other potentially problematic bugs, so I decided to wait).

Thus spake Filip:

[This message has been edited.]

I believe private connections still go through the main server, due to
the same reasons I had to struggle with here[1] when trying to run my
own server. It was one of the first things I tested in Vassal 3.2, and
after blocking vassalengine.org in my system I’ve been getting similar
problems as with my earlier builds (either freezes or connection errors

• unfortunately I don’t remember exact details after three months). So
    it seems like the only advantage of current private connection mode is
    that your game is not visible for everyone when you don’t want it to be,
    like when you’re hiding from trolls.

I suggest that somebody else blocks vassalengine.org and tests various
connection modes to verify that.

That’s the reason I’m still using my old private server hack based on
3.1.17. I’m currently waiting for 3.2.4 release to apply my workaround
hack while taking some advantage of new connection menus (I was just
about to start hacking 3.2.3 today, in fact, but it appears 3.2.3
suffers from some poetntially problematic bugs).

You might have better luck with 3.2.4-svn8623:

vassalengine.sourceforge.net/builds/

See here for why:

peer2peer / private server

J.