Newcomer questions, help needed.

Hi everyone, I just get my first hand on Vassal engine and hoping to create an Yu-gi-oh style card game. Here are a few Problems that I’m looking for enlightenment:

1. How can I make a grid in the center of main map with perimeter (outer frame), instead of one starts at top-left corner without perimeter? (I’m using Rectangular Grid, should I use tens of Multi-Zoned Grids and put then together?)

2. How do I control the sequence of the game? I mean from Side selection → Deck composition → main game → victory ruling → goes back to Deck composition for the next game.

3. About Deck composition, say I have 300 cards in total, but each deck needs only 50, how can I allow players to costomize their deck (by draging perhaps), instead of just using the starter’s deck I make for them?

4. Does Vassal supports a certain level of automation? For example, When 2 cards fight, P1’s card “killed” P2’s card, can Vassal judge the result and send the “dead” card to graveyard deck, or does P1 have to give up the turn to P2 - let him do the moving - while it’s still technically P1’s turn? Another example is P1 attacks P2, can P2’s HP decreases automatically?

5. Can I make a turn counter? (how many turns have past)

6. Can I set the upper limit of hand cards?

7. How can I reveal some of my hand cards to the opponent when the game requires?

Can anybody help me? THANKS!

Use a multi zoned grid

You dont - you can only do so much, the rest is done by the players just like a real ftf boardgame

I would provide for multiple decks. A full complete deck which players can select their cards from and put into build decks. decks can also be saved once built

It can but it can become or may be complex to implement so it may be easier to just let players handle this themselves. Stay with the basics before tackling complex features while learning the engine

yes

it is possible

Use a mask trait for cards

Because you appear to be tackling a CCG type game, it may be wise to download and edit/examine another CCG that has already been made (such as the Babylon5 CCG) to give you ideas on how to do things that are similar

So players should switch turns? Wouldn’t that be slow and difficult to learn? I mean both players need to know every step precisely.
And if I have a turn counter, it will end up with much more turns counted than the actual turns according to the game’s rule?

Why would that be slow and difficult? It should be no different than how
they would play the real boardgame.

If the players don’t know the rules of the game they aren’t going to know
how to play using the module anyways are they?

There are lots of Igo-ugo games with turns that have individual steps in a
turn on Vassal, this isn’t a problem like you think. A turn is still a turn

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:messages-bounces@vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of jiongrz
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2011 3:27 AM
To: messages@vassalengine.org
Subject: [messages] [Module Design] Re: Newcomer questions, help needed.

“Tim M” wrote:

“jiongrz” wrote:

1. Does Vassal supports a certain level of automation? For example,
    When 2 cards fight, P1’s card “killed” P2’s card, can Vassal judge
    the result and send the “dead” card to graveyard deck, or does P1
    have to give up the turn to P2 - let him do the moving - while it’s
    still technically P1’s turn? Another example is P1 attacks P2, can
    P2’s HP decreases automatically?

It can but it can become or may be complex to implement so it may be
easier to just let players handle this themselves. Stay with the
basics before tackling complex features while learning the engine

So players should switch turns? Wouldn’t that be slow and difficult to
learn? I mean both players need to know every step precisely.
And if I have a turn counter, it will end up with much more turns
counted than the actual turns according to the game’s rule?

Read this topic online here:

Thank you very much, Tim.