News submission reenabled

It’s possible once again to submit news items to VASSAL’s news feed. To submit news, scroll to the bottom of the front page, where you’ll find the “Submit News” link.

Note that we’re still looking for someone to be our news editor. If you’re interested in volunteering, please let us know.

I could probably do that. I'm pretty good at writing in a legible and mostly accurate grammatical format. English was not a particularly strong subject for me growing up but what I write is usually easy to read. Used to be editor for a 3D Gaming Newsletter a decade ago.

I'm not familiar on working with a Wiki (if that's the format that will be used) but I'm a quick study. If I can code my own mod for Call of Duty without any programming training, I'm sure I can figure out a Wiki easily enough.

I've also been kicking around the idea of helping to make the user manuals more user friendly including module examples. I know you've been pleading for someone to do that and I've been extremely tempted. I just don't know if I'll be able to devote the time and commitment to a project like that. I haven't followed that thread of discussion very closely. Is there a group working on it? I'd be glad to contribute.

Thus spake Dr_Nostromo:

I'm not familiar on working with a Wiki (if that's the format that

will be used) but I’m a quick study. If I can code my own mod for Call
of Duty without any programming training, I’m sure I can figure out a
Wiki easily enough.

Editing the news is not done through the wiki. It has it’s own interface;
there’s no real technical challenge to it. The news text is just HTML.
I’ll get you an account set up and show you how to use it soon.

I've also been kicking around the idea of helping to make the user

manuals more user friendly including module examples. I know you’ve been
pleading for someone to do that and I’ve been extremely tempted. I just
don’t know if I’ll be able to devote the time and commitment to a
project like that. I haven’t followed that thread of discussion very
closely. Is there a group working on it? I’d be glad to contribute.

Right now, Ken (fil512) is working on getting the Reference Manual into
the wiki. A lot of it is obsolete, and a lot of it is ugly. You guys
should put your heads together about how it should look and be organized.
This is one of those things where the work is not one monolithic job, so
I think you could contribute effectively in small bits.

J.

I’m familiar with basic HTML …especially for just posting news and possible a few minor images …so that should be easy enough.

I’d be glad to help with that. If (fil512) isn’t following this thread, I’ll drop him a note shortly.

Yay! Danke Herr Doktor!

Dr No.

I’ve finished moving the Reference Manual into the site wiki. It’s intended to be updated, edited, improved, by anyone with ideas for how to make it better. I’ve already made 3 edits that fixed some errors, and added a bunch of stuff about how trait order and keystroke dispatching works. Please help yourself to editing the Reference manual pages!

Wiki format is pretty straightforward. There’s plenty of online help available if you get stuck.

Ken

OK. What I’ll probably do is monitor the forum from this point on for questions regarding how to do this and that and refer to any information there may be on the subject in the wiki. If it needs to be made clearer or an example for a complex sequence of events is in order, I’ll come up with something.

Thus spake Dr_Nostromo:

“uckelman” wrote:

Editing the news is not done through the wiki. It has it’s own
interface;
there’s no real technical challenge to it. The news text is just HTML.
I’ll get you an account set up and show you how to use it soon.

I’m familiar with basic HTML …especially for just posting news and
possible a few minor images …so that should be easy enough.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this—I’ll should have time
tomorrow to get you set up as the news editor.

J.