No versions after 3.4.3 will open

c:\Program Files\VASSAL-3.4.12>jre\bin\java.exe -cp lib\Vengine.jar VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager
VASSAL: C:\Users\Emper\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL
java.nio.file.FileAlreadyExistsException: C:\Users\Emper\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(WindowsException.java:87)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:103)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:108)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystemProvider.createDirectory(WindowsFileSystemProvider.java:506)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.createDirectory(Files.java:694)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.createAndCheckIsDirectory(Files.java:801)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.createDirectories(Files.java:747)
at VASSAL.launch.StandardConfig.(StandardConfig.java:82)
at VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager.main(ModuleManager.java:88)

Does C:\Users\Emper\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL exist? Is it a file instead of a directory? (It should be a directory, but I’m guessing from the error message that it’s actually a file.)

It exists, and it is a directory.

What’s in it?

Many error logs, a few ‘key’ and ‘lock’ files, vassalvmoptions, and folders: tmp, tiles, prefs, ext, plugins.

The lock files are definitely a problem!

I doubt that the lock files are causing this particular problem, but deleting them won’t hurt anything either.

Try renaming C:\Users\Emper\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL to something else and then running VASSAL as before. What happens when you do that?

I renamed the Vassal folder. Old reliable 3.4.3 opens, but with no modules available. I then installed 3.4.12 and it opened for the first time (!), also with no modules available. There is a new Vassal folder, with key and lock files for both 3.4.3 and 3.4.12, along with error logs, vassal.vmoptions, and folders for tmp and prefs.

Ok. Then the problem was probably something to do with permissions on the old directory.

If you want your old settings back, you can delete everything inside the new C:\Users\Emper\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL and then move everything inside the old C:\Users\Emper\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL to the new one.

I’m just loading modules anew. So far, so good. Thanks very much for your patient help. Any idea how the permissions went bad?

Maybe created the directory originally as Administrator? There are a lot of ways things can go wrong on Windows.