Noob in Vassal seeking help

Hello

First of all, sorry if i make any mistake, i’m a french native speaker. Unfortunately i saw that there were no new reply in the french forum for the past 3-4 years so i had to come here…

So, i’m totally new to Vassal, and tried to manage a new module alone, with the help of the official support.
However, i came to some (noob) difficulties, sorry if this seems dumb to you, but if you have the answers it would be helpful :slight_smile:

The purpose of my module is that i want to play Gwent (the card game from the Witcher) online with my brother.
I don’t have the time (nor the patience for now) to put specific caracteristics to all the cards, i just want it to be simple.

All i need is : a board to put the cards face up, one pick deck face down for each, one “dead cards” (i don’t know the word sorry) deck face up for each, and a hidden hand for each player. i don’t know if i’m clear, let me know if not. I don’t need specific rules to forbid cheat moves (as to pick a card in the other player’s deck…), my brother and i will play fair.
I need to pick cards from the pick deck, that they appear in my hidden hand (visible for me, hidden for him), place cards face up on the board, put “killed” cards to the dead deck face up, and pick selected cards from my dead deck AND my brother’s dead deck (it’s like a medic/revive card use).

So i managed to put my personnal board, to put a pick deck face down, a dead deck face up… however i don’t know how to manage the “hidden hands”, i tried but the cards appear weird. I don’t know if there is a way to have clearly a “hand area” on the board, to drag the picked cards to or something like this, and to be sure that i see my hand cards but not my brother.
Other problem : the cards are too big for the lines of my boards, but i don’t know how to resize the cards.

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

The easiest way to have hidden player hands is with two Player Hand windows (a form of Private Window explained in the link below). Each of those Player Hand windows are assigned to an appropriate side via their Belongs to Side trait.

vassalengine.org/wiki/PrivateWindow

The easiest way to decrease the size of the cards themselves is to increase the size of the boards (especially if you are adding default boards via vassal), then decrease the size of the current window/map (and everything on it) via its Zoom trait. But as far I know you cannot decrease only the size of the cards in vassal (without also decreasing the size of the board their on).

vassalengine.org/wiki/Map#Zoom_capability

Any follow-up questions, just ask. :slight_smile: