Noob question - creating Player sides

Very nnob quesiton: how to create player side in a module that does not have them already?

I’m editing the World in Flames module (great module, by the way, but could be even further improved). Current module (v6.23) does not have sides, so that the [Definition of Player Sides] does not exist. I’d like to add that. How to do that? I can’t find any way to do so.

(For those who know the game: I’d like to create sides to handle the US Entry chits. So that axis cannot see the chits managed by the US).

Thanks,

Reger

I’ve done it before by opening a Module Buildfile that has Player Sides in it, and copy/paste into the Buildfile for the module you’re working on.

Well, I try co copy paste stuff from the current WIFFE module to another: there is no way this copy/paste works…

Any other idea how to get add back [Definition of Player Sides] once it has been erased?

Extract the buildfile and open it up in an text editor

A few lines down you should see
<VASSAL.build.module.BasicCommandEncoder/><VASSAL.build.module.Documentation>
</VASSAL.build.module.Documentation>
Note the “/” on that last line so you are in the right spot. Underneath insert
this line

<VASSAL.build.module.PlayerRoster buttonText=“Retire” buttonToolTip=“Allow
another player to take your side in this game”/>

save your edited build file and put it back into the module. Now when you go to
edit the module you’ll have the Player sides options available again

To: messages@vassalengine.org
Sent: Wed, August 11, 2010 12:32:57 PM
Subject: [messages] [Module Design] Re: Noob question - creating Player sides

Well, I try co copy paste stuff from the current WIFFE module to
another: there is no way this copy/paste works…

Any other idea how to get add back [Definition of Player Sides] once it
has been erased?

Read this topic online here:
https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/noob-question-creating-player-sides/3167/3

@Tim M: it looks like you know the way. However, your post did not make it readable. Could you post again? Thanks !

Joel - take a look at this thread and compare to the response I posted above vs the version you received in email. Something isn’t translating over

Inside the attached zip, you will find a modified WIF buildfile from version 6.23. Use it in place of the existing buildfile inside the module (swap it out). Then you will have sides again

Thanks Tim. That’s help on a deluxe level !