Objective hexes....

I’m working on a module with a large number (>100) of hexes on the map that must be monitored for control by either player each turn. These determine the morale for one side, and influence the length of the game (there are some sudden death gating factors tied to this morale figure).

I’m not sure what I should do to help the players with this. I’m looking for suggestions or devices/features to use.

• Can I create an overlay to show the objective hexes, toggled on/off with a button? What if all the hexes are NOT contiguous?
  • Can I assign a value to each hex and set up some automated action to get a tally of all earned morale points within all the hexes?
  • How can I keep track of/show player control of each hex, short of a marker for each and every one (which would result in unseemly clutter)

A little help here? ;)

Without knowing more, I actually like the marker idea. With that many hexes, I’d probably want my starting default for them to be nothing. Then, depending on how hex control is won, I’d place a hidden marker in that hex.

The markers can be invisible, and never directly handled, so no clutter. Or they can have a small player designation (perhaps in a corner of the hex), so one can quickly note who controls it. The marker can detail, through any number of methods, including a visible, automated tally on the game board itself, the hexes under each player’s control. You could additionally add a full hex-shaped layer to those (in whatever color for whatever side), that can be toggled on/off with a main toolbar button, like you mentioned. If an opposing player gains control of that hex, their marker ideally would automatically delete the previous marker, ensuring the change in control is properly tallied.

Here’s some problems though (the first that come to mind)… 1) if a hex is lost somehow w/o an opposing unit taking it over, then that’s more difficult to account for. But as long as you know of all the ways it can happen, it can be managed. But… 2) if there can be numerous pieces in a hex (i.e., Player A has three units in a hex and Player B has two units, so Player A currently has control), then that obviously adds another layer of complexity to automating the whole thing. It’d still be manageable, probably, with some work, but I might reconsider if that’s the case. But as I say I don’t know how the hexes are controlled.

I don’t know how any of the above would end up actually performing, but that’s where I’d start, depending. If you detail a bit more on how the hexes are controlled, that would help. Anyway, hopefully that gives you an idea or two.