Oddity Trying to Import Prepped Counters into Module

Hi,

I’m having some difficulty importing some counters that I scanned and prepped from hard copy counter sheet artwork provided to me. Essentially what I did was import the Jpeg scans into Gimp2, scaled the countersheets to 60 percent and then exported them as pngs. I then imported and cut using a program called Castle which saved the individual counters.

After renaming I went to import them into the mod but I kept getting errors and no graphic of the counter would show up after import. I found however that if I loaded the png image into paint and then saved it (without any changes) the image would import with no difficulty. I’d like to think there’s a better way than having to go and open each counter file into paint and re-save - I did try changing the pgn so that paint opens the files when they are opened.

Has anybody seen anything like this before and does anybody have an idea on a better solution?

Thanks,

Doug

Thus spake dougb:

Hi,

I’m having some difficulty importing some counters that I scanned and
prepped from hard copy counter sheet artwork provided to me.
Essentially what I did was import the Jpeg scans into Gimp2, scaled the
countersheets to 60 percent and then exported them as pngs. I then
imported and cut using a program called Castle which saved the
individual counters.

After renaming I went to import them into the mod but I kept getting
errors and no graphic of the counter would show up after import. I

We need more information in order to help you. What exactly did you do? What
was the error message?

J.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I was trying to import the counter graphics into the module and the message I received was "Bad Data in Module, Error reading G1INF.png (the file name in one example).

The process by which the counter art had been prepped was

1. scan the counter art sheet.
  2. import the counter art sheet (which was a jpeg) into Gimp2 and using that program scale the image 60 percent for sizing purposes.
  3. From Gimp 2 saved the counter art sheet as a png file.
  4. Using the splitimage program from The Castle cut the spreadsheet to get me the individual counters.
  5. Renamed the counters
  6. Using the add multiple pieces (or in other cases add single piece) tried to import the counter(s). When I did that I got the 'Bad Data in Module: Error reading image xx.png
  7. Oddly when I loaded up images individually into MS Paint and saved them (without doing anything else) I was able to import them into the module. Obviously if there’s a way to fix the problem I’m having without going through all the counters again I’d appreciate any help.

Thanks and hope there’s something I’m missing.

Doug

I had to google “splitimage from The Castle”–wow, that is astoundingly old software!

Are you entirely sure it produces PNG images that conform to the image format’s specification? From the description given, the low-hanging fruit explanation is that this SplitImage tool is somehow outputting malformed PNG images.

Hi Joel - yes it is old software that I’ve used successfully in the past. Certainly possible that something has changed and it no longer works as it has before. It would be a shame as it’s easy to set up and a lot less work (when it worked before) to cut out the images. The guillotine function in gimp 2 is a bit of a pain to use as it opens up a new window for every single piece rather than simply cutting the counters to a folder as I can do with the splitimsge tool.

Any recommendations for other software?

Thanks,

Doug

If opening up sliced images in their own window is the only downside of GIMP’s Guillotine, maybe try Filters → Web → Slice and see if it does the same or not. It’s a similar tool, just adds some HTML output.

Hi Joel thanks yep I gave that a go using artwork for a second mod on my to do list and it worked like a charm.

Thanks again!

Doug