On/Off Switches, or Moving An Item Between 2 Fixed Spaces

Hi again. Here’s another question.

The game I’m working on has five action token which, when used, get pushed back and forth between the two players. For example, During his turn, Player A draws a card and then gives one of this five action tokens to Player B. Then Player A sells a good, and given another of the remaining action tokens to Player B. So on and so forth.

Rather than pushing tokens around the board, which is how my current module does it, I would like to simplify this process. Ideally, I would like to make it so the player can simply single-click on an action token, and that token is automatically sent across the board.

In the attached examples, the first is the current situation. Then the player on the bottom clicks on the right two tokens, which automatically sends them to their designated space in front of the top player.

How can I best accomplish this?

My initial thought is to make five decks for Player A (top), and five decks for Player B (bottom), like this:

[Deck 1a] [Deck 2a] [Deck 3a] [Deck 4a] [Deck 5a]

(Middle of board)

[Deck 1b] [Deck 2b] [Deck 3b] [Deck 4b] [Deck 5b]

So Deck 1a’s only possible action will be to send contents to Deck 1b, and vice versa. Same with the other decks.

I think this is a reasonable solution, but I’m not sure how I can simplify this “send to deck” action into a single click.

The five action tokens get sent hundreds of times every game, and I need the process to be as simple as possible.

Any tips for condensing the “send to deck” action into a single click?

Or any ideas for a simpler/better way to accomplish the passing of action tokens?

Thanks,

Dalmuti

If you want a player to send a token to another player by a single click, the best way would be to put an action button on the token.

Put a graphic of a small button on the token.

Define the button with an Action Button trait. Have the button fire off a CTRL 1 (for example)

Add a Send to Location trait that is triggered by a CTRL 1 to send the token to the location you want.

I wouldn’t use Decks at all. Too messy, too hard to update. Keep it simple.

For each piece:

1. You will need two ‘Send to Location’ traits, one for the top position, one for the bottom. Give them a Key command (Ctrl T for go to Top, Ctrl B for go to Bottom), but no menu command
  2. Create a Zone around the top token positions and call it ‘Top’. Same for the bottom token position, but call it Bottom.
  3. Create two Trigger Actions, both Activated by the same KeyCommand (say Alt-T).
    3.1 If CurrentZone == Top, Issue Ctrl B
    3.2 If CurrentZone !- Top, Issue Ctrl T
  4. Have the ‘Send this token to other player’ command issue Alt-T. This might be an Action button, or a Trigger Action.

Rgds,
Brent.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 5/02/2010 at 11:01 AM dalmuti wrote:

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

On Feb 7, 2010, at 3:53 PM, Brent Easton wrote:

Minor correction. In item 3.2 the “!-” should be “!=”.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)