Orphaned Modules - Module maintainers needed

The following modules need fixing (we keep receiving bug reports for them) and there has been no success in contacting anyone responsible for these modules over an extended period of time.
We consider them orphaned / abandoned and need someone to pick them up and look after them.

If interested please post and Joel or RK can get you added to the contributor list of the module you are interested in taking care of.

Pirates of the Main version 1.5a

problem - uses an old version of turn tracker. solution remove and replace turn tracker

Diplomacy version 0.1

problem - uses an old version of turn tracker. solution remove and replace turn tracker

Euphrates & Tigris version N/A

problem - Custom code is compiled in Java 6. solution recompile the custom code in Java 1.5 for Vassal compatability

Put me down for updating Diplomacy.

I’m still learning but would be up to the task of doing the Pirates of the Main module but can’t get into it at all. Is there something other than just editing the module that has to be done to fix this?

It requires a manual edit of the build file first.

Brent has provided the following explanation on this on what you are looking
for

a) Update the buildfile:

Edit the buildfile and change
<turn.TurnTracker> to <VASSAL.build.module.turn.TurnTracker>
<turn.ListTurnLevel> to <VASSAL.build.module.turn.ListTurnLevel>
<turn.CounterTurnLevel> to <VASSAL.build.module.turn.CounterTurnLevel>

(Now the module should be able to load)

b) Update the level settings:

Edit the module with Vassal and in each TurnTracker level, change the ‘Turn
Level Format’ to be $value$.

You may also want to change the top-level ‘Turn Name Format’ to get rid of
any extra $levelx$ values.

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

I think I understand most of what you’re saying and will get to work on it tonight with hopefully good results…lol. I’ve never attempted this stuff but would love to learn, now’s a better chance than any!

I’m able to open the build file but how would I go about editing it and re-saving it? Is there any special program I’m going to need?

Sorry if this is annoying, I’m just trying to get on the right page because I’m sure I put a lot on my plate with this.

Use a text editor to edit the build file. (don’t use MS Word or Wordpad…use a plain text editor, something that will not add hidden carriage returns or formatting, such as Notepad.)

Then re-zip the module (everything at the level of the build file). That is, you’re going to have the Build File, the Images folder, etc all at the same level. You zip all these together to make the new module.

Re-name the zip file whatever you want (something with .vmod on the end), then open it in the editor and make the rest of the changes.

Ok, Here’s what I’m seeing in the build file. I’ve searched over and over and can only find this that resembles anything I’m supposed to be looking for. Is this the correct part? I know it’s not the same as described to me in the other post but this is the ONLY thing I’ve found in there.

[/img]

Thanks

That is it

This is what you should end up with
<VASSAL.build.module.turn.TurnTracker buttonText="" …
<VASSAL.build.module.turn.ListTurnLevel configFirst=“false”…
</VASSAL.build.module.turn.TurnTracker>

Then youll be able to load module and do changes to turn tracker if needed
as per second part

Replaced those three things and repacked it as a .vmod and .rar and neither of them will open. Now I get “Invalid VASSAL Module” when I try to open it either way.

Make sure the build file, images folder, etc are all at the root level of your zip file.

What happens sometimes is, people unzip a module to a folder, do stuff to the files, and then re-zip the folder. To be clear, it’s not the folder you want to re-zip; it’s the -contents- of that folder.

Also, you should probably stay away from using the .rar format. Use a zip utility wherever possible to re-compress the file.

Got it to open now, Thank you. The problem I guess was just the .rar because when I repacked it as a .zip, it opened right away.

Thanks

Edit… Wow, Now when I try to edit the module and save it I get this msg:

“The Module cannot be saved. This module contains files that have been manually added to the module Zip Archive, but contain non-UTF8encoded characters in the filename. These files must be manually deleted from the module, and then loaded in using VASSAL. Last Zip Entry processed was: images/Maudits.GIF.”

After I delete the mentioned GIF and try again it just goes down the list naming all of the GIF files after the deletion of the one before it.

Ok, I think I’ve got it all working again, How do I go about updating the original file to the new one?

Rodney or Joel need to add you to the contributors list of the module. You
need to give them your main vassal page login username I think.
Once that is done youll be able to upload the module.

Or you can just make a new module entry for it yourself :slight_smile:

You can take Pirates of the Main off the list. I’ve got it uploaded and working with 3.10 although it’s in french still. I’m sure some other things may need fixed but as of right now it is very playable.

Thanks

It has already been fixed. Sure you have the right version?

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:messages-bounces@vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of Ganapoes
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 3:12 AM
To: messages@vassalengine.org
Subject: [messages] [Module General Discussion] Re: Orphaned Modules -
Module maintainers needed

I’m still learning but would be up to the task of doing the Pirates of the
Main module but can’t get into it at all. Is there something other than just
editing the module that has to be done to fix this?

Read this topic online here:
viewtopic.php?p=28308#p28308

Vittoria 20 cards broken won’t flip from draw to discard
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Vittoria_20

I almost have an update for the Axis and Allies War At Sea module ready. Myself and a few fellas on the game’s message board have been testing it.