Overlaying shaded areas on a map for weather zones

I have no idea how to approach this, so let me explain what I’m trying to do, and then see if I can understand anyone’s answer!

The campaign map of my module (made up of hexes) is split up into a number of areas covering irregular groups of hexes, which each have independant weather. This weather is generated in another programme. What I want to do in Vassal is be able to:

1. Change the weather type in the area, and thus change the shading of that area (or some other suitable effect - can we do animations?)
  2. Use toolbar buttons to switch this visual effect on or off.

Possible… ?

Thanks for any thoughts.

(As an aside, I am not good with technical language. I can programme, but I taught myself, so don’t understand any of the jargon. Thought I’d best say that up front else I’ll be asking for clarifications!)

Thus spake “BenWH”:

It is possible to do shading. The module I made for The Longest Day
uses shading for setup areas. The way I accomplished this was by
adding an AreaOfEffect trait to a counter which has no image itself.

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Smart but simple!

Now, how about irregularly shaped areas? I think that only does radii right?

Thus spake “BenWH”:

If your map is hex-based, then any set of hexes can be decomposed
into some combination of 1-, 2-, and 3-radius areas.

J.

Messages mailing list

And by using Dynamic property for the range,you can setup a ‘weather’ counter that can change shading color and size. I used this in The Devil’s Cauldron to mark ‘Out of Play’ areas. It’s great to use to setup shadings at the start of the scenario, but is not pretty to use if you want to change them on the fly. The marker counters need to be invisible, non-stacking, click on shift counters in a seperate, lower Game Piece Layer.

B.

Messages mailing list