Ownership problems after updating module to 3.2.8

I humbly admit that I have been defeated. I’ve looked at the module backwards,forwards, sideways, and upside down and I have reached the point where I am out of new ideas to try. That being said, the problem is with the module for Twilight Imperium Third Edition. The specific module is version 1.1.11b5 which is being used by most people on the TI3 PBF forums. It can be obtained here:

http://ubuntuone.com/7j2hbb5DVuJofpk6GBbMXK.

The error in question does not generate a VASSAL error code and is not machine specific. All users are experiencing the issue when using the VASSAL 3.2.2 or after. The same error occurs using the original (1.1.3) version of the module on new VASSAL. I seem to be unable to find a work around on my own and am therefore asking for help. Now the problem:

When the GM of the game places a card in a players private area, the player is unable to access it. However if the GM places the card in the deck present in the private area the player can then move the item off of the deck. However… if the player leaves said card off of the deck, the GM cannot access the card any longer. The way I thought I had programmed the module, and the way it used to work, is that the GM and the player both have complete access and control of items in the private area. Is there a way to make it work this way again in the new version of VASSAL that I am just not seeing?

I am experiencing ownership issues with cards as well, in a module I made. Used to be anyone could flip a card, now it only works for some people. :frowning:

So, not counting my own 5 views to check the thread, this thread has been viewed 35 times. Any ideas yet on possible solutions?

Thus spake StrangeTim:

So, not counting my own 5 views to check the thread, this thread has
been viewed 35 times.

It’s only been three days since you originally posted, and you’re
asking a question which will require some work to answer. Be patient.

J.

Yessir. Thanks for any help you’re providing.

Oh, and I apologize for the way that other message came across. I was tired when I wrote it and it didn’t get onscreen the way I intended. The message was intended to read like this: “Hey guys, I noticed that other people had seen this. Does anyone have any ideas for me to try. I’ve run out of my own ideas and a new set of eyes might pick up something I might not yet have tried.” It was not intended to be “Hey, you looked at my post. Give me a solution now!” so I’m sorry if it read that way. Brainstorming problems like this with other like minded individuals has usually helped me find solutions to the problems I was facing faster than I would have on my own. Anyway. Thanks again for helping me look into the issue.

It’s no problem. I do eventually intend to look into this if nobody else does. Are you certain that the behavior you’re seeing didn’t happen before 3.2.2? (I.e., have you tried to replicate the problem in 3.2.1 and failed to do so?)

I have not tried 3.2.1. I will do so… and previous versions until the initial occurance is found

Thus spake oriecat:

I am experiencing ownership issues with cards as well, in a module I
made. Used to be anyone could flip a card, now it only works for some
people. :frowning:

Show us where we can find the module, and describe how to trigger the
problem.

J.

Thus spake StrangeTim:

When the GM of the game places a card in a players private area, the
player is unable to access it.

This is the behavior I’d expect if the GM has masked the card or if the
card starts masked, because that causes the GM to take ownership of it.
Is the card being moved to by the GM to a private player area masked?

J.

Yes, the card is masked automatically. In previous versions of VASSAL this did not prevent the player from accessing the card as long as it was in their private area. Is it possible for dual ownership to exist? Can items in the game always belong to the GM but then also, conditionally, belong to players? If this is possible, I thought 1 owner was max, then maybe I’ll just recode the module.