PDFs open in wrong program

I’m running on Linux (Kubuntu 20.10), and when I open a PDF help file from within VASSAL (doesn’t seem to matter which version), it always opens in Google Chrome, even though my default application for PDFs is Okular. Is there any way to fix that?

I’m guessing that means your system is falling through to our “xdg-open” failsafe. And apparently xdg-open has its own ideas about defaults.

See the following article for information about how to change xdg-open’s default browser (look at the top-rated answer):
stackoverflow.com/questions/411 … lt-browser

Let us know if it works!

Brian

This is bizarre; every setting I check shows my default for PDFs is Okular, and my default web browser is Firefox; yet, PDFs from VASSAL insist on opening in Chrome! Guess I need to do some more research.

Also, if I directly run xdg-open on a PDF file, it opens in Okular, so I’m not sure it’s a problem with xdg-open.

OK, figured it out; I missed a reference to google-chrome.desktop in /usr/share/applications/defaults.list. Changing that to Okular fixed the problem. Thanks for the pointer to that Stack Overflow question!

np! And since you gave a good descriptive subject line, this will now hopefully be the search result people find in the future since I’m sure this comes up every once in a while :slight_smile: