"Peek" unrestricted by ownership

Is it possible to make the “Peek” command NOT restricted to piece owner? Non-owners can flip pieces if the option is set to “Always” in the module options section, but I’m not sure if Peek can be unrestricted.

I need players to either reveal a piece to everyone and to be able to just peek at it themselves. I’d rather not have to use a private window.

Unless the owner is not supposed to be able to see the card as well, change
your Mask so the Owner can see the card all the time without needing to
peek. The other players would still have to flip the card over to see it
though

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:messages-bounces@vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of chrono280
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2011 6:14 AM
To: messages@vassalengine.org
Subject: [messages] [Module Design] “Peek” unrestricted by ownership

Is it possible to make the “Peek” command NOT restricted to piece owner?
Non-owners can flip pieces if the option is set to “Always” in the
module options section, but I’m not sure if Peek can be unrestricted.

I need players to either reveal a piece to everyone and to be able to
just peek at it themselves. I’d rather not have to use a private
window.

Read this topic online here:
https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/peek-unrestricted-by-ownership/4332/1

No thats not how the real game works.
There are a number of “neutral” face down markers on the board that are placed randomly at the start of the game. Players may flip the markers over, revealing them to all. Or they may peek at them privately.
The problem is whoever sets up the vassal game must draw the markers from a random stack and the computer is treating that player as the piece owner. The peices really dont belong to anybody.
Also it seems if a player reveals then masks the piece again he may use the peek command.
Is there any way to make these pieces be peeked at by any player?

Hi,

Well, we have already spoken about this in this section about Merchant of Venus (sorry no time to link it)…

The way to resolve is to have a Trigger ‘Peek’ to UnMask and Mask to provide a Peek to the owner of this action.

It’s integrated to the last Merchant of Venus release.

Regards,

Grégory

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much, I’m digging through it now.

When giving a token/piece a MASK trait, there are a few options. Under the MASK trait, there is a drop down menu with 3 options:

• Any Player
  • Any Side
  • Any of the Specified Sides

To allow any player to flip/peak I’ve always selected “Any Player” then (as it says) any player would be able to flip/reveal/peak at that particular token.

Any of the Specified Sides, is specific to the side that placed the token on the board…

the other I have yet to experiment with.

soft-bug’s recommendation worked wonders! Really clever work-around.