Piece name bug - SOLVED (mistake, not bug)

My Soviet Infantry should be “___ INF” and appear that way in the in-game piece palette, in the module TOC when editing, and in the buildFile, but when placed on the map lack the INF part of their name.

So, I get “11Gd” when I should get “11Gd INF” and when my buildFile says entryName=“11Gd INF” (direct quote)

Then I go back to edit the module and open that piece (which is named correctly in the TOC), click Basic Piece, and the name is now truncated to “11Gd” - so if I click ok, ok, I’m back to the module TOC and the name now matches what was being displayed in the message report.

I’m at a loss as to how the buildFile and the message report can not match, and then it edits itself? Why is this happening?

You can download the 4mb module here.

The Soviet infantry seem to be the only pieces affected. I am in no mood to go manually rename them all if the names will be magically truncated again as soon as I do. :frowning:

and I’m using V 3.1.7

Are you saying you are editing the buildfile and something strange is happening?

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 4/07/2009 at 6:53 PM Shad wrote:

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

No, it’s like this:

• I was testing the module and dropped a Soviet INF piece onto the map
  • it should have said XXth INF but instead it just reported as XXth
  • so I edited the module and noted that in the TOC for the piece palette it was still XXth INF
  • so I edited the piece, and in the properties for the Basic Name it was suddenly just XXth
  • so I backed out without saving anything and unzipped the module to examine the buildFile - wherein everything is named correctly as XXth INF

this is replicable with the module I posted - but only for Soviet Infantry.

And for this particular module I have not made any edits directly to the buildFile, so there is no possibility I may have screwed it up that way.

Well, I’m afraid you have mixed up your files somewhere, because there is clear evidence in the buildfile that you manually edited it incorrectly at some stage in the past.

You added ’ INF’ to the “entryname=” section for each counter, but did not change the other occurence of the counter name at the end of the type string.

The corruption you introduced into the buildfile is casuing the behaviour you describe.

B.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Thank you, Brent.