Player Sides and Predefined Scenarios

Howdy Gents,

I’ve been building a module for Legion’s new game Demyansk Shield. It’s nearly complete but for one nagging problem.

I’ve built predefined scenarios. Everything works but.

After I choose a scenario I want the next screen to be one that allows players to choose Player Sides. I had a screen like that before I build the predefined scenarios. But, now that I’ve done that, the Player Side screen has disappeared.

I can’t figure out what I did wrong. How do I get it back?

You almost certainly were occupying a player side when you saved the file that ultimately became the predefined setup. If your personal module password has not changed, then every time you load that predefined setup you’ll be slotted into that player side because your module password matches the one in the saved game file that is locking that player side.

The solution is to always switch to observer mode before creating saved games that will be used as predefined setups.

Does that mean I will have to create new predefined scenarios from the stand point of the observer? You’re right, I was signed in as the Solitaire Player, which would allow me to manipulate each side. And that is indeed what I see when I open the game.

So, recreate the predefined scenarios from scratch? (it can be done but will take me most of an afternoon and evening.)

And does that mean that others who might play the module as is will have problems with it? Or, from their view point, since they haven’t signed in, does it matter at all to other players?

No, all you have to do is open each predefined scenario, resign your position to become the observer, then save the game as your new predefined setup and load it back into your module.

With the module as is, other players will have no problems taking either player side, they will see the side selection screen, but will be unable to access the Solitaire Player side.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. It allows you to have a 2 player setup in which the solitaire seat is taken (by you) and so is not available to the players.

For a Solitaire setup, you might have both the player seats taken (by you, with a different password for each) and only the Solitaire seat open.

Thanks much, that worked like a charm.