Possible bug with scenario files

Model: Acer Aspire One 725
CPU: AMD-C70 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics 1.00 GHz
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7290 Graphics
Java version : 1.60_34
Vassal Module: Grant Takes Command 3.2 Beta and On To Richmond v1.2.1
Pre-defined scenario setups load appear to load with broken counters. Counters don’t load with their pre-defined layers or abilities (specifically, manpower counters for both USA and CSA forces do not load with ability to increase or decrease unit size). All counters will disappear if you click on the refresh counters option. Needless to say, this limits the playability of the modules somewhat. I don’t know if this is a general bug for 3.2.4 or specific to the modules, but the fact that I picked it up in two different modules leads me to believe it might be a more general thing. The GCACW series uses a similar set of counters, so I don’t know if this bug has impacted all GCACW related modules.

Thanks for reporting this.

I’ve had a quick look and the scenario start games for Grant Takes Command are really, really, old, having been created prior to Vassal 3.0. The module itself has also never been saved since before 3.0. What really needs to happen with these modules is that they be loaded and re-saved using Version 3.1.20 (to maintain 3.1 compatibility) and the scenarios to be re-pulled by hand.

In the meantime, you will need to use Vassal 3.1.20 to play these modules.

Vassal 3.2 should be doing a better job of playing the existing counters, I am looking into why this is broken. I hope to be able to fix this and have the modules running correctly under the next 3.2 version.

The bug where the counters dissappear when you hit refresh is a known bug and is already fixed in the 3.2.5 beta, but the counters and module are too old to refreshed by this method.

Brent.

I have opened bug Bug 10129 -Pre 3.0 modules broken under 3.2 for this issue

Found and fixed this problem and committed to SVN 8667.

Layer traits from pre 3.0 modules where not being converted correctly in 3.2.

You should be able to play these modules correctly with 3.2.5.

Thus spake Brent Easton:

Found and fixed this problem and committed to SVN 8667.

Layer traits from pre 3.0 modules where not being converted correctly in

You should be able to play these modules correctly with 3.2.5.

Merged to trunk@8673. Try 3.2.5-svn8673:

vassalengine.sourceforge.net/builds/

J.

That appears to have resolved the issue. Thanks guys! Vassal keeps getting better!