Question about mask trait

Ok I figured out that you put the back of the card as the mask trait. However when it is in a player’s hand I can set it to insert so that a small image of the back of the card is in the upper left corner of the card to let that player know that only he can see it. However I need that insert to be in the upper right corner as it covers information on the card. Any way to do that?

I find it is better to make an alternate back image and use it instead. This alternate back is semi transparent or mostly cut away revealing the front side for the owner player to view - looks neater too :slight_smile:

see attached pic for example

Yup Yup :slight_smile: Does anyone know a good quick batch image program or website. I’m thinking of doing it the dominion module way with a small image of the back of the card in the upper right corner of the card.

Thus spake briareos:

Yup Yup :slight_smile: Does anyone know a good quick batch image program or
website. I’m thinking of doing it the dominion module way with a small
image of the back of the card in the upper right corner of the card.

ImageMagick: imagemagick.org/script/index.php

J.

On May 10, 2011, at 5:29 PM, briareos wrote:

Yup Yup :slight_smile: Does anyone know a good quick batch image program or
website. I’m thinking of doing it the dominion module way with a
small
image of the back of the card in the upper right corner of the card.

If you use prototypes, you shouldn’t need to change more than one
image, since it would be shared among all the cards using that
prototype.

But I second Joel’s recommendation of ImageMagick as a batch program.

Ok I’m having a little problem. I have some of the cards in the game setup for having fronts and backs. I also created seperate images of the fronts with small pics of the back in the corner to signfy they are hidden to your opponents. How do I make it so that when the cards are in the players hand and face down the player who owns the hand sees that pic. Like in the dominion mod.

You don’t need to make separate images of the fronts with a symbol on them. The masking symbol is an independent image that’s placed on the card when it’s face up to you but face down to other players. Here’s an example of the mask trait I used in BattleCON that was applied to all cards via a prototype.

The first pic shows the mask trait. The top half shows the image that is shown as the back of the card when a player cannot see it. Below that is a symbol that’s placed on the card when the card’s owner can see it but it’s still face down to their opponents.

[attachment=1]MaskSample.png[/attachment]

The second pic shows an example of the mask trait in game play. This is the Green player’s view of the game board. The cards on the right in the Attack box have been revealed to all players as there is no masking symbol on the card. The cards in the lower left (red player’s area) are face down so the green player can’t see them. The cards in the upper left have the masking symbol in the center of them. The green player can see the cards as they are the card’s owner but the masking symbol in the center of the card tells the green player that the cards are still face down to the red player.

[attachment=0]MaskDemo2.png[/attachment]

In the mask trait set the Display Style option to “use image” and add your alternate image below - that is the image the owner will see

Tim, Dr. N, you guys are really helpful with the info… thank you. I can’t wait to start working on my game!

Quick question: does the ‘masked’ icon always appear in the centre of the card, or can you alter its placement?

I believe it will center but if you want to put a mask down in the lower left corner, for example, just make a transparent graphic the same size as the card with the mask you want down in the left corner of the graphic.

Thanks!

On May 13, 2011, at 7:52 PM, DrNostromo wrote:

[This message has been edited.]

I believe it will center but if you want to put a mask down in the lower
left corner, for example, just make a transparent graphic the same size
as the card with the mask you want down in the left corner of the
graphic.

Added to the FAQ.
Thanks.