ReadMe files issue?

My modules have custom ReadMe files, usually displayed on the Help menu under Getting Started.

I’m using 3.2.13. If I update and replace the readme file in the module, and then go to save the module, Vassal barfs, with this message.

“java.io.IOException: Unable to overwrite C:\mayday_2.0.vmod: Data written to C:tmp6607132688920865038.zip instead.”

A temp file is created (tmp*.zip). When I open the original module, I can see a default ReadMe file in place of the custom one. The default plain text file begins, “The VASSAL Team is happy to announce the release of VASSAL 3.2.13, which which [sic] fixes several problems found in earlier versions.”

This completely overwrites my custom file in the vmod file.

Here’s what I’m doing:

1. Updating the readme in a text editor.
  2. Opening an existing module.
  3. In the Module Editor, under Help menu node, select the Getting Started item, then browse to the updated readme.
  4. Save the module. Upon clicking save, the error message is returned. (There is more text in the message, but is omitted from this post.)

I get the same issue if I rename the custom ReadMe file from ReadMe to GettingStarted or whatever. It always replaces my custom text file with the default one and doesn’t let me add new plain text files to the help menu without getting this issue.

Any thoughts on this?

Thus spake mycenae:

My modules have custom ReadMe files, usually displayed on the Help menu
under Getting Started.

I’m using 3.2.13. If I update and replace the readme file in the module,
and then go to save the module, Vassal barfs, with this message.

“java.io.IOException: Unable to overwrite C:\mayday_2.0.vmod:
Data written to C:tmp6607132688920865038.zip instead.”

This is the problem to solve first. Find out why VASSAL can’t write to
the path where you were trying to save. (Chances are it’s because the
account you’re running VASSAL with doesn’t have permission to write to
that path.)

J.