Report Action Trait

Hi all,

today I like to report a problem with the Report Action Trait.
Guess the issue lies exactly between the left and right ear of the guy actually typing this bug report. But - who nows…

Well, inserting this trait into a brand new empty piece with just a basic image, reporting a single word of text (Hello) triggerd by a simple keystroke (CTRL T) simply does not report anyhing at all.
This Trait simply refuses to do anything. Even if I try some more complex things, like cycling messages as described at the reference manual nothing seems to work.

This leads my to the following questions:

• What are the prerequisites that this Report Action Trait may report anything at all?
  • What must be in place that reporting is completely suppressed like this?
  • Any dependencies to Trait Sequence here?

Autoreporting Piece actions as specified in the Board setup does work.
Moving, creating and such Events are all properly reported.
But triggering a Report Action does not work at all.

Any idea what’s going on here?

Cheers
Stephan

See Help under Map Window properties:

Auto-report format for units modified on this map A Message Format that will be used to report changes to pieces on this mapfile:///home/rkinney/VASSAL/distrib/docs/ReferenceManual/PieceWindow.htm: message is the text message reported by the Report Action trait of the game piece being modified.

To: messages@forums.vassalengine.org
Sent: Thu, February 18, 2010 8:48:38 AM
Subject: [Technical Support & Bugs]Report Action Trait

Hi all,

today I like to report a problem with the Report Action Trait.
Guess the issue lies exactly between the left and right ear of the guy actually typing this bug report. But - who nows…

Well, inserting this trait into a brand new empty piece with just a basic image, reporting a single word of text (Hello) triggerd by a simple keystroke (CTRL T) simply does not report anyhing at all.
This Trait simply refuses to do anything. Eeven if I try some more complex things, like cycling messages as described at the reference manual nothing seems to work.

This leads my to the following questions:

• What are the prerequisites that this Report Action Trait may report anything at all?
  • What must be in place that reporting is completely suppressed like this.
  • Any dependencies to Trait Sequence here?

Autoreporting Piece actions as specified in the Board setup does work.
Moving, creating and such Events are all properly reported.
But triggering a Report Action does not work at all.

Any idea what’s going on here?

Cheers
Stephan

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org (Messages@forums.vassalengine.org)
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Hi Tim,

so t’was as I expected. The grey stuff between my ears failed again… ;-)

It was just that simple:
Entering $message$ as the message format to be reported on piece changes solved the problem.

As far as I can see it’s the default also.
Somewhere along the road I must have whiped that out, not knowing what its’s purpose was.

Maybe a little hint to that might be helpfull at the Report Action trait documentation as well.

Thanx Tim.
Stephan