Report Format for LOS Thread

Hello, I’m working on a mod and I want to customize the Line of Sight Thread so that the reporting specifies the pieces on the locations where the thread is being drawn. So instead of just saying “Player 1 drew thread from Location A1 to B2” it will say “Player 1 drew thread from Piece 1 to Piece 2” (where Piece 1 is located on A1 and Piece 2 is located on B2).

But the variables available on the Report Format only include playerName, playerSide, playerId, FromLocation, ToLocation, Range, NumberOfLocationsChecked, and AllLocationsChecked. And I don’t see anywhere in the LOS Thread setup that could allow for other properties or things to be added there.

Does anybody know of a workaround for this? Thanks.

Unfortunately I think this would be very challenging - in fact, I can’t think of a way to do it in 3.1.18 without custom classes, or without extra mouse clicks. In 3.2 this can be done with a Beanshell expression, but it is still a bit of a pain. So, if you really want this reported, I would recommend adding some ‘Report Action’ traits on your pieces, with menu entries ‘Report drew Line of Sight from’ and ‘Report drew Line of Sight to’; the first report would print something like:

Player 1 drew thread from Piece 1 ...

And the second report would print something like:

... to Piece 2

…And you’d just have to tell your players to click those to get the reports to display.

If you wanted a workaround, maybe just leave thread Persistence turned on and visible to all players. Then it’s obvious where the thread is being drawn to/from. (“Picture == 1k Words”).

Using the example above, instead of reporting the information given from Piece 1, you could store it in a Global Property and then call it from Piece 2 using it’s report. The result will look like… Player 1 drew thread from Piece 1 to Piece 2

Andreas

Yes, wow, that’s much better, good call! =)

-Seth

I’m working on something that needs the same thing. Did you ever publish a mode that does the above, or know of one out there that would be a good example.