Restricting "Draw Specific Cards"

In the module I am currently working on, there are several card decks. The main deck can be drawn from by any player, and the deck is always shuffled. Each player also has an individual deck that they use to bid for turn order. A player may draw specific cards from his deck, and these decks are never shuffled. Each of the Cards in this deck has a Restrict Access property that restricts them from being drawn except by the appropriate side.

The problem I have is that while a player cannot draw from another player’s deck, he can still right click it, choose “Draw specfic cards”, see the list of cards the other player hasn’t drawn, and thus infer which turn his opponent is bidding for. Even worse, a player can do this with no indication to his opponent that he has done so.

Is it possible to restrict access not only to individual cards but to the entire deck itself, without having to resort to having the order deck secluded in a private window? For the sake of simplicity, I have the entire playing surface in the main window and would like to keep it that way if possible.

Thanks in advance,
Jeffrey

You can put the individual decks in separate player hands that belong only to one player. Then make sure that you do not click on “Visible to all players”.

Look at the help for Home → Module → Player Hand.

• M.

2009/4/8 heliopolix <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

While this would work it is no different than using a private window, and as the OP said he wants to keep everything in the main window.
I wouldn’t call this a bug, but it would make a great RFE to have restricted access to all right click deck functions similar to a Player Hand or Private window

From: messages-bounces@forums.vassalengine.org [mailto:messages-bounces@forums.vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of Michael Kiefte
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 4:51 AM
To: VASSAL Engine Forums Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Module Design]Restricting “Draw Specific Cards”

You can put the individual decks in separate player hands that belong only to one player. Then make sure that you do not click on “Visible to all players”.

Look at the help for Home → Module → Player Hand.

• M.
    2009/4/8 heliopolix <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>
    In the module I am currently working on, there are several card decks. The main deck can be drawn from by any player, and the deck is always shuffled. Each player also has an individual deck that they use to bid for turn order. A player may draw specific cards from his deck, and these decks are never shuffled. Each of the Cards in this deck has a Restrict Access property that restricts them from being drawn except by the appropriate side.

The problem I have is that while a player cannot draw from another player’s deck, he can still right click it, choose “Draw specfic cards”, see the list of cards the other player hasn’t drawn, and thus infer which turn his opponent is bidding for. Even worse, a player can do this with no indication to his opponent that he has done so.

Is it possible to restrict access not only to individual cards but to the entire deck itself, without having to resort to having the order deck secluded in a private window? For the sake of simplicity, I have the entire playing surface in the main window and would like to keep it that way if possible.

Thanks in advance,
Jeffrey

I guess I missed the last paragraph of the original post. Using private player hands is exactly what the developers had in mind for this sort of thing. You’re not really “resorting” to that – it is what it is. My personal opinion is that it’s a lot more convenient with separate windows – it’s meant to be an analogy to an actual hand. You don’t have your hand on the board.

• M.

2009/4/8 Tim McCarron <timothy.mccarron@sbcglobal.net (timothy.mccarron@sbcglobal.net)>

Thanks for the replies so far. Using a private hand with an icon to show/hide so its not always there will work.