Retire function seems dysfunctional

Hello,

I did some work on the Eclipse module published here recently. I came across a problem which seems to go back to Vassal and not the module as far as I can tell:

When someone retires from the game no one can take his side. Only he may reclaim his color/side. It does not appear on the list of available sides after he retires and thus prevents other players from taking over in case one player leaves the game.

I am not sure if this problem also exists in other games on Vassal but it can become quite the trouble when playing with 3-6 players in Eclipse. Help is strongly appreciated. If you need any more information just contact me.

It’s not a bug. When a player logs into a specific side, that becomes their side for that game. If you want to make a side available to someone else when a player leaves, make sure the player leaving changes to player side “observer” before they quit. This will free up the side.

After trying out some more things we found out that the retire function works as it should when you select the side from a list using “Join another side”. But if you press the button “Become observer” you are instead listed as side “null” and your previous side will be unavailable until you become an observer in the other fashion.

It seems the “Become observer” button is the bugged component here. It does not assign one to the observer side but simply strips the side from a player without freeing up the previous side he was on.

EDIT: I just wanted to say that I did not manage to reproduce the full problem offline by myself (even changing name and password of the player). The null problem keeps existing but the sides were all accessible in offline tests. Not sure if the full problem only is seen online or if it simply takes at least 2 real different people for the side-locking to occur. At any rate I think the player should never be assigned side “null”.

Yeah …that doesn’t sound right.

Bug 4259. I have reproduced this in other modules, it should only show up online, and using ‘Join another side’ should work fine in the meantime.

-Seth

Thus spake irishwulf:

Bug 4259. I have reproduced this in other modules, it should only show
up online, and using ‘Join another side’ should work fine in the
meantime.

-Seth

Please try 3.1.19-svn8114 or later and let me know whether the bug
is fixed:

vassalengine.org/~uckelman/builds/

J.

Yes, sir, it seems to be fixed.