Return to Deck-need to reset layer level and 0 out 2 DP

I use cards as pieces on a board that players lay out at setup and then when they take possession of one it gets flipped and used more like a game piece than a card.

The only problem is when it gets returned to deck it is returned with the same properties it had after being used in the game. When it is returned I would like for it to go back to its starting position which is level 1 on a layer and two dynamic properties back to a value of 1 and the name of the piece nulled out.

I was hoping that if I set up a trigger that determined:
LayerName_Level !=0 && $Property1$ !=1 && $Property2$ !=1

I could trigger a global key command but then I don’t think a key command could reset all of this stuff.

So I was thinking that I could use the trigger to replace the card with itself which would not be in the same state first then return it to the deck. But I don’t think this would return the replacement to the deck. Then if it did I just added an additional card to the deck?

Also I can’t figure out what happens to a card that is deleted instead of just returned to the deck? Is it really deleted making the deck one card short?

EDIT: Ok silly me, after searching for a solution i discovered that on DPs there is a setting to allow a command to set a value to exactly what you want. So I set a trigger to do everything i wanted by hitting all the necessary keystrokes.

First off, if you use Delete, the card is gone until you restart the game.

As for the rest, what it sound like you want to do is…

Use a Trigger Action trait and give it the command name Discard so that is what appears when a player right-clicks the card. In the Perform these Keystrokes section, you want it to fire off a list of keystrokes. For example

CTRL 1 (or whatever key you’re using to reset the layers on the piece)
CTRL 2
CTRL 3
CTRL 4

CTRL 1 will reset the layer, have CTRL 2 and 3 adjust your Dynamic Properties and have CTRL 4 trigger a Return to Deck trait. That way, when a person right-clicks the card and selects Discard, it will adjust the values on the card before actually returning the card to the deck.

Does that make sense?

Yeah thanks thats exactly what I did. I can’t figure out this report action thing however. Some of them work just like they’re supposed to and others…

Is there anyway to edit what gets spit out of $message$? For instance I deleted all of my layer names so they wouldn’t show up but then it just defaults to the name of the piece. I have a name trait for the piece that i would rather use but instead I get pieceName (name property) in the msg display.

I’m not quite sure what you’re saying in reference to Name trait? How, specifically, are you setting up the Report trait?

I guess I am referring to $newPieceName$ when I use this on a piece that has layers it will always put the layer name in the report with the actual name DP in parentheses next to it. It also places all of the DP numeric values in parentheses as well.

LayerName (name DP) (DP) (DP)… so it looks like that when I wish it to only display the Name DP.

So I guess instead of using $newPieceName$ or old piece name i should just put in the DP name that I want displayed. lol

the display of DP in a report is determined actually not by the DP but by the text label you are using. In the text label there is an entry for message format. Keep in mind all the text labels get stuck together in order one oin top of the other so the pieceName part of the format includes all the previous text labels in the trait list. Or something like that. So do not just delete the whole thing in a text label or it blocks all the reports from going thru… instead just leave it as pieceName only if you want to simply not include that particular label in the report. And then adjust the order of the properties you want in the report by changing the order of text labels on the trait list.

Finally, the () are there because they are there in your text label message format… you can be real shlick and put whatever puncuation or additional info you wish there, and for instance you can open parens at the start of the list and close them at the end. Etc.

Thanks for pointing that out. I never payed attention to the message format of a text label. I see it is $pieceName$($label$) so if I remove the label part I won’t get all the DP parts in the message. This is good to know.

I’m jumping on this thread because it sounds like something similar to what I’m trying to do. I have a piece that has a layer for the back side. When I do a return to deck action on the piece, I want it to revert to the front side (the default layer? layer 0?) What is the simplest way to make that happen?

There are a variety of ways you can configure a Layer trait, so I’m flying a bit blind with regard to what you’ve chosen. If the Layer is always active and you have one level defined as the front side and another level defined as the back side, bind the same keystroke being used for the Return to Deck trait to the “Reset to Level” command in the Layer, and specify 0 as the level number.

1 Like

Thank you. Your suggestion was spot-on except that I had to reset to level 1, not 0 and then it worked.

Oops, I was going by memory that levels are 0-indexed. Sorry!