Saving since upgrading to 3.4.11

All other upgrades from 3.2 onwards no issues, no new bugs introduced… until now.

I have had a persistent problem with saving since upgrading from 3.4.10 to 3.4.11 it’s happened on a few modules but it is 100% failure rate on World in Flames.

Anyone else having this problem? What should I do? It is really annoying as hours of gameplay can be lost.

This is unlikely to be related to upgrading from 3.4.10 to 3.4.11. More likely is that you’re having a permissions problem with the directory listed on the first line of the stack trace in the scroll pane.

Does C:\Users\pault\App Data\Local\Temp exist?

The only change has been going from 3.4.10 no windows update, no new folders, no deleted folders, no Java update etc. no module updates honestly the only thing to have changed is 3.4.10 to 3.4.11. I have upgraded every few weeks as new Vassal Engines have come out and I have done each update and it has been fine.

I can explicitly confirm that “C:\Users\pault\AppData\Local\Temp” definitely does exist and it has worked fine every other time…

Are you able to write to C:\Users\pault\AppData\Local\Temp? Try creating a directory there. Does it work?

If you can trigger the problem again, check if the directory mentioned in the error dialog exists while you still have your game open. (In the case of your screenshots above, that would be C:\Users\pault\AppData\Local\Temp\vassal_10051388175473168808, but the name of the directory will change on each run.)

Yes no problem writing there at all, its a dedicated space for temporary files for my user account: I have tried folders and files all good. Vassal also had no problem for many years until 3.4.11 of course.

I even manually recreated the folder and file extension to confirm I can do it, so there’s no reason why Vassal cannot (see proof)

Thus spake tompk via messages:

“uckelman” wrote:

Are you able to write to C:\Users\pault\AppData\Local\Temp? Try
creating a directory there. Does it work?

Yes no problem writing there at all, its a dedicated space for temporary
files for my user account: I have tried folders and files all good.
Vassal also had no problem for many years until 3.4.11 of course.

I guarantee you this has nothing to do with 3.4.11, as the last change
we made to writing save files was in 3.4.8 and the only changes from
3.4.10 to 3.4.11 were to do with map painting.

I even manually recreated the folder and file extension to confirm I can
do it, so there’s no reason why Vassal cannot (see proof)

Ok. Would you answer my other question, viz.:

If you can trigger the problem again, check if the directory mentioned in
the error dialog exists while you still have your game open.

Does the directory mentioned in the error message exist when you see the
error dialog?

J.

Tried to replicate but of course now I can’t haha, it happed 4 times on two separate days in WiF and once in HF:Russia.

I’ll update if it happens again this week.

Just a quick update to say I have not yet played anything (been busy with work sadly) but as soon as I do I will update and also I will verify if the directory does or does not exist when (hopefully if (I wouldn’t mind this never happening again)) the error dialogue next pops up.

Just wanted to chime in and say I’ve also been having this problem recently (after updating to 3.4.11, maybe coincidence?).
It doesn’t happen every single time, only when it really matters. Ha ha.

But when it does happen, there seems to be no way to get it working again so just have to abandon the save/log.
(I get the same error trying to end a logfile and when trying to save.)

C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Temp exists but the exact Vassal directory on the C: Drive mentioned in the error doesn’t.

Hello, i have the exact same problem, it happens from time to time since the recent upgrades of Vassal. I’m currently on 3.4.10 but it happens since one of the 3.4 upgrade.

I can create a folder in the C:\Users\pault\AppData\Local\Temp folder and i can confirm the directory mentioned does not exist in the folder while the game is opened. I’ve tried several time, closing the dialog box retrying to save. Each time it mentions a slightly different folder name in the dialog box but none is created.

Stephane

Yes, I haven’t played much since updating to 3.4.x (waiting for modules to update to be able to use it) so it’s not necessarily the latest 3.4.11 that’s doing this.

What happens when you try to save with VASSAL-3.4.12-SNAPSHOT-zip_dir_fix, which you can get here?

vassalengine.org/~uckelman/tmp/

Well the problem for me has so far not reappeared, I am glad of that. Do you want me to continue to use 3.4.11 first to see if I can get the error message again or do you want me to switch to testing the new snapshot? I am easy with either, happy to help. I think someone else here has already shown you that the folder does not exist.

Thus spake tompk via messages:

Well the problem for me has so far not reappeared, I am glad of that. Do
you want me to continue to use 3.4.11 first to see if I can get the
error message again or do you want me to switch to testing the new
snapshot? I am easy with either, happy to help. I think someone else
here has already shown you that the folder does not exist.

Running the test build would be helpful—the longer you run it without
triggering the problem, the greater confidence I have that we’ve fixed
it.

J.

So far so good. I’ve been playing, logging and saving a game without issues for a few days now. Will make some vitally important, really long turns this weekend and see what happens. That’s when the previous version most often threw up the errors.