Sending all selected pieces to same deck

Hi,

I would like to implement a feature to my module that would allow selecting bunch of counters (or even a whole stack) and then selecting a deck to send them all. At the moment module prompts destination deck for each selected counter separately, which rather kills the idea of easing players job. Any way to implement this kind of feature?

Thanks in advance!

• Juuso

The solution depends on the exact circumstances of your game.

How many destination decks are there to choose from?

Is the selection list fixed, or does it change?

Rather than use 1 variable ‘Return To Deck’ (RTD) trait, what about add 1 RTD trait for each possible destination Deck and then assemble those into a sub-menu?

I have added

RFE 2941268 - Return to Deck trait variable destination

to the enhancement list.

B.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Thanks for quick answer! I hope what follows will clear the situation bit more.

I have intended to use separate battleboards where counters will be moved from the map to solve battles. In battleboards there’re like 30 different rows for separate battles and I tought that it might be easier to put a deck on each row (named Battle 1, Battle 2 etc.) to make it faster to send units to battleboard. These locations of course stay same (no other decks intended for module), but same counter can be sent to different battle each turn depending on circumstances. That’s why I cannot just use send to location with fixed location to send the counter.

This works as far that when clicking “Send unit to battleboard” function (just renamed RTD) it prompts for which Battle (deck) I would like to send the piece. Problem is when I try to send multiple pieces (all participants of that battle, usually one stack) with one click, it asks destination separately for each.

Naturally drag-and-drop works, but it is quite cumbersome at some times.

The easiest answer I have off the top of my head…

You could make a 5 “bins” each one a deck that feeds into 6 of your battle areas.

Then you can give the counters a Return to Deck for each of the bins. So you can select a stack, pick one bin, and they all go there.
Then each bin has a GKC for each of the battlefields it feeds into. So if you wanted to send a stack to battlefield 5, you’d send them to the first bin (which feeds 1-6) and then use GKC on the deck to send the entire contents to battlefield 5.

You still have to have return to deck properties for all 30 of the battlefields, which is a lot of hotkeys, but by using GKC to do it, you won’t need them all to show up in the menu.

Problem this far hasn’t been number of options in menu, but that the menu appears for every single counter in the stack even if the whole stack is selected. For example, when I want to send stack of three units to battlefield 5, I select them all (or the whole stack) and right-click and choose “go to battlefield” after which it prompts for which battlefield to go. I choose number 5, then it prompts where to go for second unit, and after that for third unit. This is the annoying part I would like to get rid of.

You need to change your method.
What you need to make this work without multiple prompting is a Trigger Action (TA), STL, GKC, Set Gp and a GP.

Sequence:

TA - Ctrl 1 executes Ctrl 2, Ctrl 3
Set GP Ctrl 2, type selection list prompt - store the location name in your GP
GKC Ctrl 3 executes Ctrl 4 property match filter selected = true, range on set to 0
STL Ctrl 4 in location to send to put $GP Name$

All pieces in your stack will now go without incessant prompting via the GKC executing the STL which references last set location in the GP

To: messages@forums.vassalengine.org
Sent: Thu, January 28, 2010 7:24:06 AM
Subject: [Module Design]Re: Sending all selected pieces to same deck

Problem this far hasn’t been number of options in menu, but that the menu appears for every single counter in the stack even if the whole stack is selected. For example, when I want to send stack of three units to battlefield 5, I select them all (or the whole stack) and right-click and choose “go to battlefield” after which it prompts for which battlefield to go. I choose number 5, then it prompts where to go for second unit, and after that for third unit. This is the annoying part I would like to get rid of.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org (Messages@forums.vassalengine.org)

Note: This will have to be worked in with what you already have working without clashing. Furthermore the GKC property filter may need tweaking depending on how pieces are set up

Helps to read the entire thread…

Disregard the method I outlined. It will not work in this context

Sorry, we are confused about which menu! You are referring to the menu that comes up when you choose the checkbox that has RTD choose destination during the game. That can have as many options as you want, but as you noticed, it executes for each piece individually.
The workout I’m suggesting does not use RTD in that way. Rather, every piece has 36 RTD properties each one pre-defined to go to a specific deck. Only 6 of these actually appear in the menu (I’m refering to the right-click menu) but the other 30 all have keyboard shortcuts associated with them.

The idea is that you right click the stack, and the right click menu has an option for sending the entire stack to any of the 6 bins. Then, you can right click the bin (which has 6 GKCs) and select the GKC that sends every card in the bin to the battlefield “deck” of your choice.

It will use up a lot of keyboard shortcuts, and will add 6 options to the right click menus of your counters instead of 1, and require 2 clicks to move them instead of 1. But if you are moving enough counters, this may be faster than clicking and dragging (especially if the counters are not already stacked).

Tim M’s method seems sound too, but it won’t send cards to decks, rather just to specific locations. If the use of decks isn’t important for some other purpose, you might want to consider it. If it’s important that the pieces become masked, you can include a masking shortcut in the Trigger Action. If it’s important that the pieces be shuffled when they arrive, then you’ll have to use a deck and it won’t work.

Not true.

If you ‘Send to Location’ a piece to the exact location where a Deck resides, then the piece will go into the Deck.

B.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org