Should I be able to run Vassal twice on one computer?

Hi,

I’m developing a Vassal game and some of its tests need to be done with two internet connected Vassal clients.

The operating system I’m using is Ubuntu 12.04 and I’m not able to run Vassal twice. I’ve tried clicking on its icon in the Unity interface with my middle mouse button but this is failing to start Vassal a second time.

I have to use a slow laptop and repeatedly transfer the latest version of my game to this laptop using a USB stick. The most efficient way for me to work would be if I could run the two internet connected Vassal clients on my fast PC as two separate processes, this would remove the need for me to transfer the latest version of my game to a second computer.

The answer to this question is no, unless virtual machine software is used. If you want to run it in a virtual machine, you could install a free Linux operating system on the virtual machine like Ubuntu 12.04.

I’ve just found this out by trying to run Vassal twice in a Windows operating system. I should have tried this before creating this forum topic. Sorry.

It can be done with the MacOS X VASSAL.

You can do it using the “runas” command and using another Windows username. Or, at least, that’s what Irishwulf told me to try time ago. And I think he uses it successfully.

Never tried myself, as I just have the one user under windows (and adding a guest user didn’t seem to work).

Don’t know the exact syntax of the runas command, unfortunately, but searching the web a bit should do it for you.

Thus spake Joe12:

Hi,

I’m developing a Vassal ogame and some of its tests need to be done with
two internet connected Vassal clients.

The operating system I’m using is Ubuntu 12.04 and I’m not able to run
Vassal twice. I’ve tried clicking on its icon in the Unity interface
with my middle mouse button but this is failing to start Vassal a second
time.

No, that won’t. There can only be one Module Manager running at once
(unless you try some dirty tricks). But having more than one Module
Manager open isn’t what you want.

Try opening your module twice from the Module Manager. That should
get you two Players.

J.

psst btw i think he means sudo -u

but i havent tried it in *nix

this might be useful if for instance you wanted to run two different versions of vassal simultaneously and u are 2 cheap for 2 computers and 2 lazy for vms

Thus spake irishwulf:

“uckelman” wrote:

There can only be one Module Manager running at once
(unless you try some dirty tricks).

It would involve moving or deleting the lock file. You could do
this on Unix. I think you could not on Windows, since Windows doesn’t
let you move or delete open files.

But you don’t need to do this, and anyway having two MMs running at
once won’t help.

J.

sudo on Linux works fine for this. It works well.

• M.

On 11 June 2012 21:17, irishwulf irishwulf@gmail.com wrote:

“uckelman” wrote:

There can only be one Module Manager running at once
(unless you try some dirty tricks).

but i havent tried it in *nix

this might be useful if for instance you wanted to run two different
versions of vassal simultaneously and u are 2 cheap for 2 computers
and 2 lazy for vms

_____________**
Read this topic online here:
vassalengine.org/**forum/vie … 6#**p34596<Should I be able to run Vassal twice on one computer? - #6 by irishwulf

_____________**
messages mailing list
messages@vassalengine.org
vassalengine.org/**mailman/listinfo/messageshttp://www.vassalengine.org/mailman/listinfo/messages

By the way, sir, while this does open two players, it does not seem to allow you to open two instances of a particular module with different usernames/passwords - since these are stored in the profile data. Am I missing some step? If not, I think you will still need to run Vassal from different profiles - i.e., ‘runas’ or ‘sudo’ - to be able to test multiplayer logic.

Thus spake irishwulf:

“uckelman” wrote:

Try opening your module twice from the Module Manager. That should
get you two Players.

By the way, sir, while this does open two players, it does not seem to
allow you to open two instances of a particular module with different
usernames/passwords - since these are stored in the profile data.

Ah, yes. If you’re depending on passwords, then it will be as you say.
This is one of the reasons I hate the way we handle usernames and
passwords in V3.

J.

Open instance 1 and it will use the set username/password to A. Open instance 2 and change the username/password to B. As long as you keep them both open instance 1 will keep using A and 2 B.