Simple question. how does this work?

According to a few of the last posts, it sounds like the documentation is a bit under construction for the newbie.

How does Vassal work in general? Is it just like a giant forum for a board game? Do the players have to do everything? or does Vassal handle some things. The reason I ask is that I can move pieces from Axis and Allies anywhere I want, but there is not “end of turn” notice from Vassal. Is this because in a board game the “board game” will not tell the players when the turn is over, the players have to know. In a PC game the computer will tell the players when a turn has ended. What side does vassal do? Does it just handle where the pieces are located, and the players take care of when there is a “hit” or “miss” or if even a move is even legal? I have never played a game yet, but before I try to recruit my pals I want to tell them what to expect? Vassal is not a PBEM version of Axis and Allies. Vassal is a means of opening a “virtual” boardgame and we play. Vassal just gives you the board. Is this correct? Thanks all

Jason

On the money Jason. Vassal simply provides the means to play the game, it does not enforce the rules.

Hi Jason,

The original purpose of Vassal was to supply, ‘virtually’, all of the components you would need to play a boardgame on a PC in the same way you would play it in your home. As you say, your cardboard A&A gameboard does not tell you when a turn ends, neither did Vassal.

Over the last few years, a lot of functionality has been added to Vassal that allows clever Module Designers to automate some of the tiresome procedures involved with some games and to assist with applying the rules, and bookkeeping.

But the core mission of Vassal remains to allow two knowledgable players who are remote from each other, one of which at least, who owns the game and who already know the rules, to play a game.

Regards,
Brent.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 10/02/2008 at 5:24 PM jrk74 wrote:

Brent Easton
Analyst/Programmer
University of Western Sydney
Email: b.easton@uws.edu.au

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Thanks guys for the clarification. Now all i have to do is figure out whice Modules are better than others. I have played very few wargames outside of Risk and A&A, and would love to do this with some remote buddies.

One last question. Like in Risk there is a small area for the 3 attacker - 2 defenders area. I believe the Vassal module does too. And you can bring it up. Do you physically move the pieces to this area or do you just use the dice rolls provided and “manually” remove the pieces.

So basically you would tell your remote pal you are invading from X into Y and then you roll and he removes his and you remove yours. So at the end of your turn it is entirely up to you to make the correct result. Like in the real game you don’t have to “Actually” move your attackers and defenders to the “battle” location, that is just provided for completeness. Vassal doesn’t care where you do battle since you actually move the pieces at the end manually anyway.

Thanks again and I hope I can do my part to expand the community. :stuck_out_tongue:

-Jason

ps has there ever been a lawsuits for this yet? Seems as long as it’s small everyone can have a bit of fun, but as it grows I can see Milton Bradley :evil: coming down pretty hard.

Hi Jason,

Every module is different. Some qill require you to move them manually. Some will have added ‘Move to Battle Board’ and ‘Move Back’ commands that do the movement for you. Best if you ask these questions in the module support section. Try and find other A&A players and see how they do it. Each module is an individual work of art.

Modules are hosted on the Vassalengine site on the assumption that the module creator has procured the appropriate permission from the copyright holder.

Rodney removes immediately any modules from the Vassalengine site that are objected to by the legitimate copyright holder.

Regards,
Brent.

Brent Easton
Analyst/Programmer
University of Western Sydney
Email: b.easton@uws.edu.au

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)