Thus spake “Brent Easton”:

Merged. I added one additional fix, in 4302: We return the Area we’re going
to cache, otherwise we don’t get the benefit of precreating the Area the
first time around.

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

The svn4304 build has all of the changes mentioned on this thread:

nomic.net/~uckelman/tmp/vassal/

Gave this a spin, but there was no discernable difference on my machine.
Another user with older machine is going to try it out with CC tomorrow to
see if it has improved any

Testers reported did not seem to help any. They actually noted that turning
a layer on/off seemed to take longer than before

ah… my peek into life in the GammaVerse!
this is all going to make me want to finish those Java tutorials…

Thus spake “Tim McCaron”:

When compared with which other version?

J.

Messages mailing list

Beta 4 vs 4304

Have you had a chance to test out the 4304 or later version yet?

B.

Messages mailing list

Not quite, downloaded, but went thru some updating (per the moving trait hanging the editor bug) so I can mess with more recent pieces in the default setup savegame file. (that, and next I am thinking about how to add some charts which seems to be described somewhat in the help files)
But since you were nice enough to try to fix this I will make sure I at least load up and give it a shot once I get ready to build a board full of pieces again which I hope will be the next couple days. I will post impressions at that time, with 4304 since I have it (to avoid complicating by other changes that may have been made further along). I do not really have a way to profile it or anything so the judgement will be rather subjective. But if I can plunk down about that many units on the map again and edit them without having it slow down unacceptably (for a player, a designer can probably live with it just to get the thing done) then I will be very happy.

okay upon trying this with 4304, and the new module (same location I think) I can report that simply moving the stacks around goes much more quickly than beta 4 appeared to from what I remember. essentially from a real pain to almost no discernable lag.

however, what I notice now is a problem (was before just could not tell as much) is when you select multiple stacks by clicking with the shift key down.

after the first couple stacks it gets real slow. after 7-8-9 stacks it is about a minute wait, and you can see (watching the progress of the black outlines after selecting a ton of them) it does it in bunches of stacks then lags then bunches more then lags.

oddly, once the stacks are selected, doing something like a keyboard operation to rotate them does just fine under 4304 (not, iirc, with beta4).

only operation that has an issue and it did under both versions is when you bring up a dialog to change a piece value on the 20 units you selected it might happen that a couple times cycling thru the dialog will not draw completely right away - similar to the lag when the selection itself is being done.

sorry, best I can do with a report… the module is updated with some new units (just a quickie) if you would like to try it. does not seem to be an issue that I know editing across versions at this point - earlier there was an issue where beta 3 did not play with friends very well but that is effectively OBE at this this point.

Have reproduced. Looking into this now also.

Thanks,
B.

Messages mailing list

Joel,

Have a look at swampwallaby-work@4361. This appears to fix the problem completely.

Individual ‘Shift’ and ‘Control’ keycodes where being sent to all selected counters when shift-clicking and ctrl-clicking to change the selection, even though they could never cause any action. In this module, it was bogging down completely.

I don’t really know why this hasn’t been seen before. I tried the module under 3.0.17 and the problem is there as well.

B.

Messages mailing list

Thus spake “Brent Easton”:

There are many recently-reported bugs which I’m surprised no one told us
about before.

I’ll try to merge this sometime in the next few days—I’m at a workshop
right now, so finding the time is going to be difficult.

J.

Messages mailing list

Joel,
would you please drop a note in here when this is merged… I would like to try it out whenever it is ready to go. plenty else to do until then.
Thanks,
John

edit - pardon me… I should say “like you always do…”

I suspect that any module hairy enough to exhibit this problem was simply too crazy to run under 3.0.17? Until someone came along and streamlined it enough to make it workable it was simply too bogged down for anyone to bother with?
And something like this… if everything else is going turtle-speed the fact the shift-clicking is specifically slow might easily be missed.

The Can Rotate thing… yeah I saw that a while back but always thought I was just doing something wrong in my module edits causing it to hang. It was not until recently I felt confident enough to believe that gee it really should not be doing that. Although even so… I still would not have been too suprised if you came back and said it was just some trait ordering rule I was violating without realizing it.

Thus spake “IrishBouzouki”:

It’s in svn4376, which is uploaded now.

J.

Messages mailing list

tried it - excellent! :smiley:
that works very well, now even with this somewhat involved module I can select and move units at what seems like normal speed, perfectly playable.
thanks Joel and especially thanks Brent for the speed upgrade!

Good to hear! I will close off that bug.

B.

Messages mailing list