SPI Game Module Posting Update

Thus spake Tim M:

Please forward this email to webmaster@vassalengine.org[1]
Its a legal thing - our last comms with DG was a C&D email so we need
real coa material, not just some post by someone saying its ok (sorry),
afterwards we will remove the restriction and I’ll approve your module

Joel, let me know when you get it and I’ll make the needed changes after

Noted. I’ll reply when I have it in hand.

J.

Thus spake Tim M:

Please forward this email to webmaster@vassalengine.org[1]
Its a legal thing - our last comms with DG was a C&D email so we need
real coa material, not just some post by someone saying its ok (sorry),
afterwards we will remove the restriction and I’ll approve your module

Joel, let me know when you get it and I’ll make the needed changes after

I’ve receive them. Wow, that’s a big change. I have no memory of having been
told about this before—maybe I missed it? I wish we’d know sooner.

If I’m reading correctly, what I see is that the following remain restricted,
all of which hare Decision Games titles:

D-Day at Omaha Beach
RAF
War in Europe
Struggle for the Galactic Empire

So, unless I’ve misunderstood, this means all SPI titles and all Decision
Games titles except those four are now fair game for us to host modules.

J.

Yep this is a big deal. we have a lot of pages that were iced due to a company’s policy and fussed about it when it was a big deal but couldn’t be bothered to tell us when it no longer applied. I will be updating a lot of pages tomorrow :slight_smile:

Thus spake Tim M:

Yep this is a big deal. we have a lot of pages that were iced due to a
company’s policy and fussed about it when it was a big deal but couldn’t
be bothered to tell us when it no longer applied. I will be updating a
lot of pages tomorrow :slight_smile:

Thanks very much, Tim. I’d like to make announcements about this in a few
places, so give a holler when you’re done.

J.

Odd. DG’s “RAF” is in the Vassal library, and it’s been there since the Fall of 2009. I know because I put it there. At that year’s wbc (world board gaming championship), I bumped into dg’s chief at their vendor table. I told him I’d made the vmod and asked him if I could release it. He said yes. “Are you sure?” I asked. He confirmed and seemed to shrug it off as no big deal. Odd that now it’s supposed to be excluded. (Maybe I shouldn’t have mentioned this. Let sleeping dogs lie.)

All SPI pages are now updated/restored with their content

This is indeed good news. And important news which many people will want to hear. Can I suggest this thread is “pinned” (or whatever is appropriate to make it more visible)?

Thanks,

Ian.

Great!!!

I’ve been waiting for this since when I joined this forum!

I have a lot of old SPI games that I love!

Really a good news!

:smiley: :smiley:

Panther 2010

I had no idea this was, well, what it was, when, out of total frustration I started my first module. It didn’t dawn on me there were virtually no SPI games listed, I never bothered looking beyond RCW. I figured it was such a rare game and somewhat obscure, nobody had bothered doing it. Turns out somebody might have (and probably have done a better job) if everybody had known.

It doesn’t sound like anybody had approached DG in years (at least based on the 2015 posts I saw about the problematic nature of getting a response back then). Looks like I came along at the right time. Life is serendipity. :laughing:

This is all pandemic-related. My friends from college and me started playing Kingmaker during the initial lockdown which then got me looking at RCW. Turns out these long political games (Advanced Civilization is one) are well suited to this because we can play for 2 hours, don’t need to drive anywhere, save the game and pick up later on. No marathon 8+ hour sessions.

I’m not necessarily a big SPI fan but when I saw Sniper!, I looked forward to playing it given that’s another 70s-era SPI game I played a ton back then. Looking forward to seeing what people develop.

scott

The announcement’s gone out to all the places we normally announce things. Hopefully we’ll start seeing modules for the SPI back catalog.

excellent news; as per fb group we have a lot to post. Great news is we can share and improve quality of the ‘secret’ modules too. Long live SPI!
ps I host simpubs.com if you are looking for SPI game content for making modules

well, the back catalog is 200+ S&T, 20 or so Ares and 400 or so boxed games… so, is better work out a sort of coordination/clearinghouse for avoiding duplicated efforts…

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

A returning player, here, when I noticed that SPI modules are now allowed! A couple years ago, I made a module for Outreach: The conquest of the galaxy, 3000AD but only used it with “local” players when I noticed that other SPI games were being blocked. Now that they seem to be allowed, I would like to submit the module I had made.

It appears that someone else made a quick-and-dirty attempt at a module. IMHO, my module is more complete than the currently hosted module. What should I do to submit my module and still play nice with the other author?

upload and add your version to the exsisting module page - note differences as required in comments. Just don’t overwrite/modify their stuff

see vassalengine.org/wiki/Module … Guidelines for more

Thanks, Tim. That helped.

Hi,

Great news about the SPI Games.

FYI, the link for “NATO: Operational Combat in Europe in the 1970’s” is actually the game Normandy (Normandy_v10.vmod).

thanks,

brian

Indeed there’s not only some mixed modules, but also some major wiki formatting issues (and for major I mean “link to the module in red”, either because the link is badly written in wiki markup or isn’t uploaded) e.g. Grenadier, Nordligen in the 30 year quad, and A mighty fortress.

A funny issue is that for the module WW3 1976 to 1984 the cover image is that of… Dreadnought ! I chuckled, as Naval Historian… ;)

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

There’s a list of all uploaded files here: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Special:ListFiles, so you can always search for the correct file and fix the link when you find such an error.

Not sure quite where to post this, but a forum about SPI games suddenly being available seemed like a start. I just wanted to point out that the module page for Voyage of the B.S.M. Pandora shows the box top for, link to boardgamegeek for, and description of Voyage of the B.S.M. Pandora, but the module downloadable on that page is named Wreck of the BSM Pandora (SPI) v1.vmod and is a module for, exactly that, Wreck otBSMP from Ares #2, not for Voyage otBSMP from Ares #6 as the page implies otherwise.
If this is not the place to discuss that, perhaps someone could suggest a better course of action for me to take.

Thanks, It’s an useful tool, but sadly useless if the module creator (or uploader) forgot to actually upload the file… whose seems the case for Grenadier and Mighty Fortress, but for nordigen indeed was a typo in the link, already corrected by another fellow.

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.