SPI Game Titles

The SPI copyrights are presently the property Decision Games (decisiongames.com). Several Vassal modules were generate and posted on the Vassal site in the 2004 timeframe (War in the Pacific, Battle for Germany).

In 2004, Vassal was informed by the UK HEXWARS subscription service that they had exclusive rights for internet play of Decision Game titles per agreement with DG. Hexwars requested all SPI titles be removed from Vassal, Vassal complied. This request was extremely unpopular with Vassal users for several reasons: Hexwars is a subscription service, windows specific, and inherently inferior. Game owners reject the concept of paying a fee to play games they already purchased years ago. The net effect is SPI titles are not being played by VASSAL users.

A request for clarification was sent to Decision Games; I am not aware of any result. I will send repeated requests until an answer is given.

In the interim, Wargame Academy will act as a clearinghouse of java applications for pbem/server play of SPI titles. Please contact WGA (bill@wargameacademy.org) should you wish to be part of the development and playtest group. WGA assumes all liability and thus enables VASSAL to remain in full compliance of Hexwars required compliance. SPI Titles with java applications complete or in development include:

Atlantic Wall-ATW ; SPI 1979
Battle For Germany-BFG; SPI 1974/ DG 1994
Bloody April-BAP; SPI 1978
Campaign for North Africa-CNA; SPI 1978
Highway to the Reich-HWR; SPI 1977
Operation Typhoon-OTY SPI 1978
Panzergruppe Guderian-PGG; SPI 1976;
Terrible Swift Sword-TSS; SPI 1976 TSR 1986
Wacht am Rhein-WAR; SPI 1977
War in Europe-WIE; SPI/DG
War in the East 1st Edition-WITE1; SPI-1974
War in the Pacific -WIP SPI 1978
WWII: ETO-WW2; SPI
Decision games published a DOS application computer War in Europe which inherently includes War in the East 2nd edition, War in the West. DG has sanctioned a current effort in playtest of computer War in Europe 2nd edition on a windows platform.

Other titles are not listed as I do not own a copy of the game.

BT 060615