Strange Draw Pile Construction

Howdy Gents,

I’ve one last thing to build for Stamford Bridge and here I’m going to have to rely upon the greater skill of others.

The game has the following set up rule:

Set up 9 Hirdmenn counters, consisting of 5 (4 SP Hirdmenn) and 6 (5 SP Hirdmenn) to be mixed together and placed face down on hexes 1804 to 1814

I’ve made a ? counter. I think there needs to be a draw pile consisting of 11 Hirdmenn counters (5x4 and 6x5) from which the player draws a counter and places the ? side of it in one of the hexes identified 1804 to 1814, but the player cannot see his own counter’s value. Once he’s drawn them all and placed them in the hexes identified, his Opponent flips the counter to its normal side. In this way the player cannot see what he’s placing where to begin the set up.

I don’t know how to achieve this.

Help!

Figured it out. Took me many hours studying how others had done this in other mods. The card deck stuff has always mystified me. Have completed Invasion 1066 Stamford Bridge vmod and submitted it to Revolution Games. It was made for them so whether or not it gets posted is their choice. I am sure they will, their original Hastings game (they’re sister games) has been done and is already posted. So, when they get around to it, I am sure they will.

So what did you have to do to get it to work?

On Sat, Feb 2, 2019, 4:44 PM Cundiff <tdchistorian@gmail.com wrote:

Figured it out. Took me many hours studying how others had done this in
other mods. The card deck stuff has always mystified me. Have
completed Invasion 1066 Stamford Bridge vmod and submitted it to
Revolution Games. It was made for them so whether or not it gets posted
is their choice. I am sure they will, their original Hastings game
(they’re sister games) has been done and is already posted. So, when
they get around to it, I am sure they will.

Read this topic online here:
Strange Draw Pile Construction - #2 by Cundiff

messages mailing list
messages@vassalengine.org
vassalengine.org/mailman/listinfo/messages

I created a deck. Assigned it to the Main map. Then I created 11 cards, representing each of the 11 counters. I made a rear face to the counters that was a big Question Mark ? . This became the main card description. Then I made a layer forit and assigned the prototypes for the Viking melee only units. This allowed the player to flip the Question Mark counters over to their rear facing which was the Viking Hirdmann counters (4 SP and 5 SP). Then when that was constructed I saved the module. Closed it. Allowed the game to retile. Once retiled I opened the module and repositioned the stack.

Took me a while to figure all that out, about 6 hours actually with multiple false starts to it.