Suppress piece image or shrink window size in editor

It seems that quite often I find myself editing a large number of pieces that are too large for both the full image and (for example) the OK button to be displayed on-screen at the same time. Each time I open such a piece to edit it, I have to resize (shrink) the window to view the editor buttons. For really big pieces, the window is over-sized, but the piece image doesn’t render until I shrink the window.

It’d be nice if there were some way to disable the display of piece images in the editor. In writing this though, I realise there are no preference settings for the editor - perhaps there should be? (a toggle to turn off single-key command detection would be another nice preference setting, for example).

If editor preferences aren’t going to be a thing anytime soon, could the editor at least size windows to fully fit within a detected screen area? Or at least within a “typical” screen height like 1024 pixels with an OS toolbar? This would be preferable to the current behaviour of trying to size the window to fit the full-size piece image, such that editing cannot occur until the window is manually resized.

This has already been addresses in 3.5.0 with significant changes to the Editor GUI to try and improve workflow.

• Improved Configurer layouts and kept on screen.
  • Reorganized PieceEditor, full alphabetised list of traits, and better handling of large images.
  • Key Commands split into two separate, but linked fields Named Key/Keyboard key

We are just putting the final touches to a 3.5.0 beta and will be keen for any feedback on the changes.

Good to hear, looking forward to it!

Super!

Thus spake Benkyo:

If editor preferences aren’t going to be a thing anytime soon, could the
editor at least size windows to fully fit within a detected screen area?
Or at least within a “typical” screen height like 1024 pixels with an OS
toolbar? This would be preferable to the current behaviour of trying to
size the window to fit the full-size piece image, such that editing
cannot occur until the window is manually resized.

There’s an open PR for doing that already; it’s likely to be merged today
and appear in 3.5.0-beta1 in a few days.

J.