sweeping area of effect for RPG

I also plan to work on an RPG, but not based on DND. As my weapons have a variety of reaches (combined with character’s height/monster size) and choice of weapon strokes (slashing/sweeping strokes verses thrust and parry). There is no initiative in the game, each action takes a certain amount of time to complete (based on the character’s traits and the amount he is encumbered.) I plan on implementing a time queue in a At Startup Stack piece.

My question is: What would be the best way to implement the path of a weapon swing? I am using a hex grid map with 12 facings (each vertex, and hexside center). I would like to place the weapon sweep when the player takes an action, using different shadings for each future time point. Is there a way to modify area of effect to do this? Would it be better to place a irregular shaded piece adjacent to the character? Other options?

Create a layer on the figure which is transparent except for the sweep effect you want. Place it so that it rotates with the figure (I’m assuming facing matters).

I did this for firing arcs in a starship game and it looks good and works well. See below. Arc lines rotate with the starship.
http://www.mj12games.com/forum/download/file.php?id=215&mode=view

I’m not sure what you meant by future time, so this may not completely resolve your question. http://www.mj12games.com/forum/download/file.php?id=215&mode=view

Thanks, but this is not really the sort of thing I was looking for.

Anyone else with thoughts about how about how to shade a range of hexes, like the area effect does, but only through limited arcs?

On Apr 6, 2009, at 6:36 AM, dcholtx wrote:

I would think that you could make what you are looking for using that
technique.

You just create an image layer that you can toggle on or off.

You make the it large enough to cover the range you care about.

The unaffected area you make transparent.

The affected area you can make solid, or perhaps semi-transparent. I
think PNGs support partial transparency, right?

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Thus spake “dcholtx”:

Probably the best way would be to add the ability to specify limited arcs
to the Area of Effect trait.

J.

Messages mailing list

This partial transparency worries me. Anyone know for sure? Layers do have their advantages. Is there a freeware tool for making these semi transparent hexes with a transparent background?

One of more limited arc areas of effect is an intriguing idea, especially if they were like layers, in that you could scroll through the arcs, and would adjust to facings of the base piece.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 6/04/2009 at 7:08 PM dcholtx wrote:

Yes, PNG’s support 8 bits of transparency - 256 levels from completely transparent to completely opaque.

The Gimp.

I agree with Joel that enhancing Are of Effect would be the way to go. However, it is moderately complex problem - You need to handle the two different hex orientations, plus, there are lot of variations in what arcs you actually want to display.

B.

Messages mailing list

Thus spake “dcholtx”:

The PNG file format has support for 1-, 8-, and 16-bit alpha. Most image
manipulation programs you’ll encounter right now does not yet support
16-bit color samples, but 8-bit alpha will give you 256 levels of
transparency, which I expect would be sufficient.

J.

Messages mailing list