Switching from Subversion to Git

When we started talking about VASSAL 4, I suggested that we use Git for version control for VASSAL 4 but keep using Subversion for the remainder of the life VASSAL 3. That was a quite a few years ago now, and at that time I had not imagined that VASSAL 3 would still be under development now. That is to say, it had not occurred to me then that I could still be using Subversion in 2020, when it was already painful to use Subversion then.

I would very much like to switch us over to using Git for VASSAL 3. Since the last time we talked about this, virtually every open-source project has switched to Git. Every project I deal with at work uses Git. I can’t even name another project which uses Subversion at this point.

I took the liberty of setting us up as a project on GitHub: github.com/vassalengine/vassal

I’ve been pushing recent changes there as well as to Subversion. GitHub has a lot of features we’d find useful, such as Pull Requests (which are a way of saying “Here is some code I’d like to have merged”) and the ability to attach discussion to code for code review. What I’d like to do is stop pushing code to the project’s Subversion repo at SourceForge, and make this the official one.

I’d appreciate knowing people’s thoughts on this.

Bury Subversion in a shallow grave, don’t bother with a headstone. Even though I am likely going to be mostly be a lurker/observer, Git is what I’m familiar with and it would be much easier for me to track where things are at.

Thus spake JoelCFC25 via messages:

Bury Subversion in a shallow grave, don’t bother with a headstone.

It deserves a proper send-off. I switched us from CVS to Subversion
mumble mumble years ago, back when the rocks were soft. Subversion
was so much better than CVS, it was just unbelievable.

J.

I’ve not had any commits, but I’ve been looking through (and trying to understand) the source code for a short while, and certainly prefer git to svn… Also, CI tools (such as Travis) work better with git… I think it would result in a LOT more code submissions…

I already was under the impression that the switch to Git happened, and was wondering why there is still git-svn-id remains in some commits.

From a developer who just got aboard and wants to partake in this project, a definite yes for Git and Github.

The Github issue tracker would also be neat, even though using Bugzillla brings back memories of times gone by.

Git the hell out of Subversion lol! OMG I forgot all about CVS getting very old…Yikes…!!

Should I change my current and my future PRs to apply to this new project instead of github/uckelman/vassal?

Thus spake Flint1b:

Should I change my current and my future PRs to apply to this new
project instead of github/uckelman/vassal?

Future ones, yes. There’s no need to move the current ones; I can
handle those where they are.

J.