toggle maps which appear in main window?

hi guys,

the module i am working on (Axis Empires) has 2 large main maps, neither of which really need to be seen at the same time, and furthermore, often a game will take place on one of these 2 maps only, so the other can be exiled throughout. right now, i have the european theatre map tied to the main window (so controls like zoom, etc show up along the top button list of the main window), and the pacific theatre map shows up when i press a button, and it’s zoom etc controls of course show up on its separate window.

what i would really like to do is to have a button on the main window which toggles which map shows up in the main window, with no need for the controls etc which take up precious screen space other than those that sit atop the main window.

is there any way to do this?

cheers,

bruce

You could try having no map in the main window and putting both your maps as Chart Maps under different tabs in a Chart Window.

rk

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

The nicest thing about the main window map is that it doesn’t pop up on top of other windows (like a force pool or tun track), so moving counters/cards to/from secondary windows to the primary window is much nicer than when the secondary windows keep getting covered up by a large map window, which you usually want to take up almost all of the screen, with sub-windows temporarily sitting on top of until you explicitly put them away.

Any ideas, or should this sort of thing be a “feature request” :slight_smile:

thanks,

bruce

Here’s an idea: Define the main Map Window and the secondary Map Window so that both contain a european and a pacific board. Then define a couple of Predefined Setups – one with Europe in the main map and Pacific in the secondary, and the other vice versa.

rk

that sounds like a good idea. in fact, i’d like to get away from the secondary map window altogether if i could. for the full combined game is there a performance hit to have two large maps tiled side by side in the main window as opposed to 1/2 in the main window and the other 1/2 in a secondary? and if not too much, is there such a thing as a button(s) i can place on the top bar that when pressed zips you to a predefined location in the main window (the idea here would be a couple of locations to zip to on one map or the other in the main window.)

thanks as always for this most excellent tool guys,

bruce

I don’t think there is anything that will zip you to a location in the
normal sense, but it could be done by placing strategic at start stacks with
a 1x1 pixel image and give it a layer with 2 1x1 pixels. Pressing the
toolbar will have the At start stack change its level in the layer or you
could have the At start stack move 1 pixel and this should center on that
location when performing the operation provided you have center on opponents
move enabled (that may not be necessary though - would have to test to find
out)