Trigger Action logic broken...

Hey,

I’m working on a trigger action that will automatically ship a piece off to the graveyard when it fails it’s dodge roll. The Snit’s have a dynamic property, speed, that get’s initialized at the start of the game, and the dodge is a 2d6 roll called SnitDodge.

So if I set the trigger action like this: ‘SnitDodge_result > speed’, it always fails no matter what the speed or the die roll… huh?

If I set it like this: ‘speed <SnitDodge_result> 13’, then when the die roll is greater than 13 it succeeds otherwise it fails - as I would expect!

If I set it like this: ‘speed > 10’, then again it fails whether the Snit’s speed is > 10 - as I would expect!!!

So when the properties are by themselves they work, but when they are together in the same action they fail.

Can someone suggest a way around this? Thanks! jas…

I think what you need to do is…

SnitDodge_result > $speed$

Otherwise, it’s always going to compare the value to a string with a value of “speed”.

I’m a bit confused about when I need to use $speed$ and when I can just use plain old ‘speed’… Clearly in message formats I need $speed$, but in the Trigger Actions, I thought ‘speed’ was sufficient.

Anyhow I tested all the combos:

$SnitDodge_result$ > 13 … works
SnitDodge_result > 13 … works
$speed$ > 10 … works
speed > 10 … works

but…

$SnitDodge_result$ > $speed$ … fails
$SnitDodge_result$ > speed … fails
SnitDodge_result > $speed$ … fails
SnitDodge_result > speed … fails

So it seems… that it is only confused when both the properties appear in one expression…

They have another property, ‘lifeForce’… If I try this:

speed < lifeForce … fails

but if I try this:

speed < 10 && lifeForce < 3 … works!!!

So it seems that there is some problem I am having when both sides of a binary conditional operator are a dynamic property - it seems that one side needs to be a constant. This seems silly to me. Either this is a bug or I have a serious lack of understanding…

Help?

THanks, jas…

ok so I found this thread:

vassalengine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1865

which explains why I can’t do math in the trigger action…

speed < (lifeForce + 5) … fails

And this big topic which explains the bug that is keeping the comparison of two DP’s to work in vassal 3.0:

vassalengine.org/forums/view … =2121#2121

It seems that it should work in 3.1… I will give it a try.

Cheers, jas.

OK… So I upgraded to 3.1.4 and this fixed the problem.

speed < $SnitDodge_result$ … works!!!

I still don’t understand why I have to use the ‘$’ on the die roll, and why they don’t work if I use them on the counter property, speed:

$speed$ < SnitDodge_result … fails
$speed$ < $SnitDodge_result$ … fails
speed < SnitDodge_result … fails

Illumination would be most helpful! jas…

Geez… I seem to be answering all my own posts here - sorry.

The explanation for how property expressions work by Brent is located here:

vassalengine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1381

This is a must read for module devs… Cheers, jas…