Trigger action reports without trigger being triggered

My cards are set through a trigger action to automatically unmask on certain maps and a report action that reports the trigger action. As I understand it, when the card is already unmasked and ends its movement in the map, the trigger action shouldn’t respond. I do however get a report, that the card gets unmasked although it was unmasked already.

Why is that?

This is probably because your report is sharing the same key as the trigger action keystroke. Instead, to prevent this happening, add a second key to perform on the trigger action and make this the keystroke of the report. So now youll have a key to perform the unmask and a key to make the report under the same trigger.

----- Original Message ----
To: messages@forums.vassalengine.org
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 10:52:03 AM
Subject: [Technical Support & Bugs]Trigger action reports without trigger being triggered

My cards are set through a trigger action to automatically unmask on certain maps and I have set a report action for each card to report when it is unmasked. As I understand it, when the card is already unmasked and ends its movement in the map, the trigger action shouldn’t respond. I do however get a report, that the card gets unmasked although it was unmasked already.

Why is that?

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org (Messages@forums.vassalengine.org)
http://forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/listinfo/messages_forums.vassalengine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

True, but the problem with that solution is, that

1. when I assign a reportable command name to the mask action, I also get a corresponding context-menu entry which don’t want.

2. I get the same action reported regardless of masking or unmasking, but with maps where cards always get unmasked and other maps where card always get masked I do want to differentiate.

Your doing something wrong then. Report Action does not add a context menu
entry

Lets say CTRL B is the command on your mask and CTRL A is the key for the
trigger.

Your trigger should have a keystroke of CTRL A and it should perform the
keystrokes CTRL B and CTRL R. CTRL R is your report Action trait - it should
not be sharing a keystroke with anything else

Ah, defining a keystroke for the sole purpose of having it reported, I didn’t think of that, thanks.

btw: Is there a quick way to find out which key combinations are already assigned and to what? With a large game with lots of report actions like this one you could easily lose track of all your keystrokes.

On 1/11/08, Ikarus messages@forums.vassalengine.org wrote:

I just keep a file with notes in it. I edit the file as I add things
to my modules.

The same keystrokes can be used in different components if they are
not going to interact.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Yep - pen and paper is the only method available at the moment. This should probably get added as part of RFE#[ 1631875 ] VASSAL Debug Features

----- Original Message ----
To: VASSAL Engine Forums Mailing List messages@forums.vassalengine.org
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 1:21:26 PM
Subject: Re: [Technical Support & Bugs]Re: Trigger action reports without trigger being triggered

On 1/11/08, Ikarus <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)> wrote:

I just keep a file with notes in it. I edit the file as I add things
to my modules.

The same keystrokes can be used in different components if they are
not going to interact.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org (Messages@forums.vassalengine.org)
http://forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/listinfo/messages_forums.vassalengine.org

On 1/11/08, Timothy Mccarron timothy.mccarron@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Oh I’m way more advanced than that. I keep a text file!!!

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org