Updating saved game

Okay, I am updating a module to change how cards are masked. When I load a predefined scenario it reverts to the old way of masking cards. I don’t really understand why… Shouldn’t the mod determine how cards are used? Even in old predefined scenarios? (Which are really saved game files, correct?)

But I am unclear on how to update the old predefined scenario so the cards are treated in the new way. Can someone walk me through it, please?

Thanks,
Kevin

Scenario files must be redefined if the module has changed.

If this is for the same problem in other thread, before atempting scenario updater you may want to check the fix you have made works by deleting all the predefined setups in the module (in editor), save and start a “true” new game first.
The scenario files will still be inside the zip which you can grab and update after

MadSeason messages@forums.vassalengine.org wrote:

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Okay, thanks. But does this mean I need to redo the entire scenario?

There is an updater but the process / explanation in the help files how it
works is not very obvious/coherent but it does work. I would personally just
recreate the file from scratch so that I know it was done right myself
especially if it is just 1 or 2 scenario files. If it is a dozen or more
though I’d use the updater …YMMV :slight_smile:

:smiley: Okay, yes, I decided probably just doing it myself is better. If only there were more time in the day!

Thanks again!

Am I the only one who can’t update using the process in the help files?
I can’t update my scenarios :cry:

I can’t either. Of course, I have been trying to do it with your Here I Stand mod, so… :frowning:

i have never been able to update saved games to a new module specification, either. none of the pieces ever seem to change to their upgraded version. as a module designer, i have to say i’m not a big fan of pieces maintaining backward compatibility in the way they do, though i understand the idea behind it as well. wish this was more tractable. every time i do the smallest update to a mod, it seems i have to rebuild any games am playing…

small price to pay though. i have a wish list, but certainly no complaints about vassal!! :slight_smile:

bruce sears

Bruce,

A new game updater is scheduled for version 3.2. Support has been included in version 3.1 to tie generated gamepieces to the palette slot that generated them. This will make the updater much more robust in finding the correct new version of a piece. It will also be an online tool that will run on the currently open save game.

Regards,
Brent.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 29/07/2008 at 1:25 PM brucesears wrote:

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Bruce,

A new game updater is scheduled for version 3.2. Support has been included in version 3.1 to tie generated gamepieces to the palette slot that generated them. This will make the updater much more robust in finding the correct new version of a piece. It will also be an online tool that will run on the currently open save game.

Regards,
Brent.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 29/07/2008 at 1:25 PM brucesears wrote:

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

excellent. thanks brent.

bruce