Updating savegame issues

G’day all,

I have a large number of savegame files that were saved in 3.1.20. Obviously using the “update savegame” feature would be helpful here.

However when I update a savegame, the game pieces aren’t updated. If I use the “Refresh counters” menu option after a savegame update, then that updates the pieces but I’d assume that this was what the savegame updater was supposed to do. This is fine for updating one savegame, but when you have close to a hundred, it’s going to take some time.

Also I’ve noticed that card decks behave strange after a savegame update. I have a deck with 60 cards and a text label that displays how many cards are in the deck. After a savegame update, the text label reports 0 cards in the deck, even though I can see the cards sitting in the same deck position. If I move the cards off that space then back on, the deck counter starts up again. I think that the savegame updater somehow takes the cards out of the deck but doesn’t put them back in.

I’ll try and get an example of this problem in a bare bones module for you to look at.

Whilst I couldn’t replicate the card deck issue in this bare bones module, I did find the following bug.

Within the attached zip file are 4 files:

The first version of a module - 0.1
The 2nd version of the module with some updated pieces and changes to the Deck - 0.2
A savegame created from the first module
An exported game piece file from the 1st module

In the 0.1 version, the deck is very basic. In the 0.2 version, the deck has been changed to allow multiple cards to be drawn as well as allowing specific cards to be drawn. After updating the savegame using version 0.2, these 2 deck options still do not appear on the deck.

Thus spake LB:

Whilst I couldn’t replicate the card deck issue in this bare bones
module, I did find the following bug.

Within the attached zip file are 4 files:

The first version of a module - 0.1
The 2nd version of the module with some updated pieces and changes to
the Deck - 0.2
A savegame created from the first module
An exported game piece file from the 1st module

In the 0.1 version, the deck is very basic. In the 0.2 version, the deck
has been changed to allow multiple cards to be drawn as well as allowing
specific cards to be drawn. After updating the savegame using version
0.2, these 2 deck options still do not appear on the deck.

I can confirm this behavior, but I’m not sure what the intended behavior
of of the updater is, so I can’t tell whether what it’s doing is right.

I suggest filing a bug report in the tracker and trying to get Brent’s
attention, since the updater is his.

J.

Hi LB,
The new game updated is currently a ‘Counter Refresher’ rather than a full ‘Saved game updater’. I will look into into updating the Deck characteristics, but it is potentially more complicated than you might think. e.g. What happens if Decks have been added or removed from the newer version of the module?

I do realise this could be quite complicated and I appreciate your efforts to look into this.

To answer your example question, I can confirm that if a deck is added to the new version of the module and you update the save game, the deck will not appear in the save game.